antigone poster

Actors and crew put final touches on Antigone, the Arts and Humanities Students’ Council production opening on Wednesday.

Antigone, written by Jean Anouilh and adapted by Lewis Galantière, reimagines the Greek tragedy by Sophocles within the context of the German occupation of France in the 1940s. Compared to the big name musicals and popular 20th century classics university theatre groups frequently produce, a performance based off of a classical text stands out as a unique project in the Western community.

The play follows the story of Antigone, a young girl who rebels against a tyrant and breaks the law in order to fulfill a promise to her brother.

Second-year English and theatre studies student Camille Intson, director and play co-ordinator, says that she was attracted to Antigone because of the strong, autonomous female characters and the opportunity for women to tackle these challenging roles.

Antigone runs March 8-11 at 8 p.m. with an additional 2 p.m. matinee on Saturday, March 11. Ticket prices are $15 for general audience and $10 for students and seniors.

Intson was also enticed by the play’s relevance to current political instability. The play revolves around a disagreement and a clash between legal law and moral law that is applicable to the current political climate. 

“Whether you’re left wing or right wing, Republican or Democrat, Conservative or Liberal, you can relate to the play’s ongoing political tension of two sides that will never quite see eye to eye,” Intson says.

The play features a Western Arts and Humanities graduate, Andrea Holstein, as Antigone, and fourth-year English student, Kevin Heslop, as Creon.

Intson says that the audience should expect to be directly confronted about their own beliefs and should anticipate a few deaths — it is a tragedy, after all — but to also be prepared for some good laughs while watching the minimalist production.

“Because it is a 20th century adaptation of a classical play being readapted to be relevant in the 21st century, there’s a timelessness about it,” says Intson. “The humanity in Antigone is universal and no matter what background you have coming into the play there’s something you can get out of it.” 

More information is available on the Facebook event page:  https://www.facebook.com/AHSCAntigone2017/

0
0
0
0
1