In the modern age of boundless choices, we constantly struggle with making them. From picking a line of education to fretting over relationship drama, the unlimited avenues of decision-making can become extremely overwhelming — it is from this that we see the re-birth of astrology.

While the stigma that astrology is a pseudoscience — like mythology — it still exists. Millennials, Gen X and Z alike have adopted astrology through horoscopes and sun signs, frequently sharing their results online.

“The younger generation is becoming more open — they’re a more curious generation,"  said Rob Paul, a customer service representative at the online Astrology University. "In the past your life was laid out; now, there’s more freedom and openness to explore astrology, and more choices it can apply to.” 

As first-year Ivey student Wu Xiao explains, “It has the overarching themes of life: I use it as a roadmap.”

Most are familiar with their sun sign, commonly known as the zodiac sign, which is based on where the sun was the day a person was born. Other alignments like birth charts — created using the placement of the moon, stars and planets on their birthday — are usually reserved for the astrology buffs.

The more popular and mainstream horoscopes give information pertaining to the present — giving weekly or even daily advice. They answer how, based on the astrological alignment at the current moment and the future, a person's star sign is affected.

Regardless of how invested you are in the subject, astrology has become an online therapist of choice for many young people. There is an endless amount of information for those wanting to explore more and astrology a tool that provides free guidance and motifs for the average person to follow. 

“It gives you a sense of comfort and security, knowing what would go on in your day... [It gives you] a sense of control,” said Angelina Conkic, a third-year psychology student.

Astrology acts as an aid that gives individuals a direction to follow. With so many people re-posting and sharing their sun sign horoscopes and astrology memes, it’s now become normalized.

Due to astrology’s inability to be tested and the lack of evidence supporting the field, many consider the subject a pseudoscience.

Paul, however, argues otherwise.

“I would classify it as a science, because there are so many different applications: it’s psychology. Maybe a soft science, but I wouldn’t limit it to that... In a scientific model you explore the theory and test its validity, but science isn’t doing this [with astrology]. They’re just outright rejecting it.”

Believers urge people to have an open mind.

Areesha Arshad, a third-year health science student said, “I originally thought it was a bunch of nonsense...but they would point to things that were actually happening.”

Conkic also spoke of its benefits. “It helps you when you’re in a position of vulnerability. It helps you find the answer.”

While an ancient subject, it is apparent that astrology is becoming more and more popular, not only in social media but also with those willing to give it a serious chance.

3
4
0
0
0