USC's Beerfest is the best fest

Beerfest in recent years has generated a lot of student interest. 

The third annual campus Beerfest will be for everyone from beer connoisseur to beer-hater with a variety of food options and festivities.  

The $12 entry fee includes a sausage on a bun, pub chips, bottled water and two beer sample tickets. All proceeds are going towards charity to the United Way.

According to student programs officer Allie Adamo, Beerfest has been very successful in the past, with large crowds showing up for the event. The idea is to have the event right before classes start to pick up and students are too preoccupied to fully enjoy an alcohol-heavy event. 

Students can look forward to trying a wide variety of different beers, beyond their usual Molson Canadian and Barking Squirrel. “We put a big focus on craft beer, so a lot of local Ontario and southwestern Ontario microbreweries come to our campus,” says Adamo. Students will be able to enjoy beers from breweries such as Toboggan, Goose Island, Nickel Brook, Mill Street and more.

The first two years of Beerfest on Concrete Beach saw hordes of beer-enthused students spending their afternoons enjoying beer with friends. While this certainly will continue into the current year of the event, there is plenty more to be enjoyed this year.

Even students who aren’t into drinking can have a ton of fun this time around.

“This year we… started to put more emphasis on the full event experience," Adamo says. "We have a lot more live entertainment this year; [we have] acoustic musicians, we have magicians, we’re looking into getting face-painting, we have a couple food trucks. We’re trying to make it also appealing to students who don’t drink alcohol or don’t like beer to attend the event as well.”

Vegetarian options will also be available at this year's Beerfest. 

Previous years saw the area littered with plastic cups from all the beer sampling, but this year the USC has made a point to have the event as environmentally friendly as possible.

“This year we’ve created a souvenir sampling glass that we’ve included in the entrance fee,” says Adamo. “Students can get a glass mug then reuse it as they go through.”

Beerfest will will take place rain or shine on Thursday Sept. 29 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Concrete Beach.

0
0
0
0
0

Ellis is a Culture Editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. He is a fourth-year Sociology student intent on pursuing a career in journalism. If you wish to reach Ellis, email him at ellis@westerngazette.ca