Wellness Education Centre

With the stress of final assignments and upcoming exams weighing heavily on students, one might wonder how to cope with it all. That’s where the Wellness Education Centre (WEC) and their upcoming "Spring Into Wellness" workshop step in.

"The WEC's purpose is providing resources in all aspects of wellness, like social, physical, even financial,” says Sandra Howe, a King's social work and placement student at the WEC.

The workshop is open to all students, faculty and staff and will include art therapy, mindfulness movement and meditation, and holistic nutrition discussions and food samples.

"The goal is to give everyone a chance to not only de-stress, but to find some takeaways for mindfulness practice that they can use at home or in their daily routine,” Howe explains.

Mindfulness is the main practice of the workshop, and Gabi Christie, wellness peer educator and third-year psychology and French student, defines it as “increasing your awareness of yourself, your mind, your body and how you interact with your environment on a day-to-day basis.”

The art therapy intended to be finger painting on canvas, and participants will paint or decorate their own elephant. “That’s really representative of 'we all have our own elephant in the room,' " explains Christie. This is done to connect to mental wellness and show participants how they’re really feeling and expressing themselves.

The mindful movement will be co-ordinated between Howe and a yoga teacher. “We’re just going to introduce participants in how to move their body in mindful ways with backgrounds in yoga, posture and breath work, as well as going through some seated meditation techniques that they can try,” says Howe.

The holistic aspect is less about mindfulness and more about actual nutrition. Body Systems Nutrition will give a talk and an offer of holistic food samples.

“We want to teach students some ways in which they can incorporate nutrition and some healthy options into their daily plans so that they can still take care of themselves,” says Christie.

Three on-campus stores will be donating raffle prizes: Body Systems Nutrition, the Book Store and Grocery Checkout.

While the workshop will certainly help in stress relief and mindfulness, both Christie and Howe emphasize the WEC’s "no wrong door" policy, meaning anyone is welcome with any question at any time.

The Spring into Wellness Workshop will take place on March 24 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Anyone interested must register before March 24. Email showe42@uwo.ca for any questions about the workshop or Melanie-Anne Atkins at matkins4@uwo.ca for any inquiries regarding the WEC.

0
0
0
0
0

Nick Sokic is a fourth year English and creative writing student and a culture editor for Volume 111. Feel free to send him any music recommendations and constructive criticism. You can contact him at nicholas.sokic@westerngazette.ca