Though there are some not-so-great things about Western University, there are also some incredible things you're bound to fall in love with. Your tour guide will mention some of these, and they're right to — between spending time at home and in lecture halls, it's nice to get a change of scenery every now and then.

Grad Club

Why study in the world’s grimmest library when you could study in a student restaurant? Located inside Middlesex College on campus, with reasonably priced food, big community tables and weekly trivia nights, Grad Club is your best friend when it comes to social study sessions.

Grad Club faces financial difficulty as costs mount

Kelly Samuel // GAZETTE

The Cronyn Observatory

With free public nights that include educational sessions and stargazing, the Cronyn Observatory beside Alumni Hall is the perfect place to spend a night with friends while learning about astronomy.

Cronyn Observator

Western University's Cronyn Observatory, photographed June 15, 2017.

The Gazette office

Comfy couches? Check. Cool people? Not really. Volunteer opportunities? Absolutely. Come check us out on the second floor of the UCC.

Gazette office in news update

The tropical greenhouse

Fluorescent lights of your lecture hall getting you down? Take a break from it all by visiting the Department of Biology’s Tropical House, a warm space filled with exotic plants.

Garden-2.jpg

Enviro Western's new garden hopes to grow a greater variety of plants than Western's greenhouses, photographed here, thanks to a less restricted environment.

McIntosh Gallery

Want to visit an innovative art gallery for free without even leaving campus? Swing by the red doors of McIntosh Gallery between classes to witness beautiful, community-based projects. Bonus tip: go there on opening nights for free snacks and talks from the artists and curators who make the gallery what it is.

Mapping out your mental health (image)

The gleaming red door of McIntosh Gallery on a summer afternoon, August 11, 2017.

Artlab Gallery

Thought Western would only have one innovative art gallery? Think again. The Artlab Gallery, which focuses on art that responds to social and cultural issues, features collaborative work with Western’s Department of Visual Art.

Looking Back Gallery (Photo 1)

Artlab preparator Dickson Bou takes photographs ahead of the Looking Back Gallery's opening reception, Jan. 8, 2018.

The Thames River trails

The Thames Valley Parkway is a beautiful riverside trail that can get you from campus to just about anywhere else in the city. Whether you're hoping to bike, hike, or just get outside, the TVP is a great place to start.

fall

Fall colours on the banks of the Thames River, Oct. 13.

4
0
0
0
0