Cuffing season (png) - Taniya Spolia

"Baby, it’s cold outside."

Cuffing season, arguably the best season of the year, falls between autumn and winter. It’s defined as the period when all of the single ladies (put your hands up) and bachelors, face the desire to be tied down by a serious relationship.

Often, it’s the combination of the cold weather and lengthy amounts of indoor activity which makes singles feel lonely and desperate to be "cuffed."

Western University students are not exempt from this phenomenon and had a few things to say about their cuffing experiences that we all could, wish we could or are happy we can’t relate to.

Some searched hard.

“When you’re cold you feel especially lonely. So one night, I downloaded four dating apps at once,” said third-year Ivey student Yan Yan Law.

Taigen Wolbeck, third-year financial modelling student, had just returned to Western and hit up her ex but wasn’t ready for his reaction.

“This man gives me a whole 20-minute speech saying ‘I just really feel like you’re still so in love with me. I don’t love you and I never will, but I really think you’re obsessed with me,’” described Wolbeck. “I didn’t know what to say, especially considering this is not at all what’s happening.”

Fast-forward to Halloween and she and her friends are enjoying a night out at Lost Love. Talking to a cute Superman, she decides to invite him over for the night because she thought what could possibly go wrong?

“So we go to my place, to my room, he sits on my bed and says ‘I just think you’re the sweetest gal ever and hun' – yes he said hun – 'I just want you to know that I can see us going somewhere.'"

"At this point, I was like ‘oh my god,’” said Wolbeck.

But with him living in Windsor and her at Western, despite the other obvious reason of having just met, she asked him how it could possibly work.

“He then tells me he’s a DJ. A DJ from Windsor,” said Wolbeck. “This was the moment I knew I made a mistake.”

The night didn’t get better from there, as he used the next few hours trying to win her heart through deep and intensive soul-searching. Finally, with the help of her roommate, she evaded the situation.

“After that I re-hit the shitty ex ... and that’s how my cuffing season is going,” she ended.

And while many, like Wolbeck, struggled, others found success.

It was Thanksgiving weekend and first-year political science student Kitt Kong had posted an ad on Facebook's Western rideshare page. But one of his passengers caught his attention.

“We talked the whole way. When I dropped the girl off, I asked her to rate the Uber ride and she gave me a nine, but after offering her a donut, it bumped me up to a 10,” said Kong.

And he thought that was that.

Call it fate, but she happened to leave her wallet in his car. They were in same political science class so he awkwardly returned it to her then.   

“Then during class, I kept thinking about ‘what if your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, but your pants can be tucked into your shirt’ so I texted her that and we’ve been talking ever since,” said Kong.

Fourth-year Ivey student Lillie Sun, who has found success herself, urges people to keep trying during cuffing season.

“I asked my now boyfriend about being in a relationship three times before we actually started dating,” said Sun.

They met in the summer through Tinder, but because he was in Toronto and she was leaving to London for the school year, they decided to call it quits at the end of the break.

“I distinctly remember it being November of last year. It was so dark and so cold – I guess he felt it too because he slid into my DMs and we started talking again,” shared Sun.

And so her tryouts eventually turned into the play-offs season. Talking to a few other guys it narrowed down to two in December.

“The way I tried to test it was to see what they got me for Christmas – just seeing how well they knew me,” explained Sun. “[My current boyfriend] actually didn’t get me a present, but honestly during the start of our relationship it felt like I was the one trying out.”

So she had gotten him one.

It was merchandise for ASTROWORLD — a 2018 album by rapper Travis Scott — which she knew he wanted. She had bought it all the way back in August, and was waiting to give to him for some occasion.

“I think that’s when he realized that I cared about him and this might actually be serious,” she said.

Come February they were talking every day, and on a trip to Montreal they officially starting dating on Valentine’s Day.

But, maybe cuffing season isn’t for everyone.

“Ever since high school, I had a high tendency to instantaneously fall in love with a girl during cuffing season. Even though I never engage in it – I feel that pull, but it’s just not me” said Kofi Agyeman third-year kinesiology student.

Cuffing season is a shared, yet unique, experience to everyone – so, experience it, ignore it or enjoy watching others fumble through it.

"Baby, it’s warm inside."

4
6
0
1
1