Western Voice banner

This year, Western’s largest singing competition is coming back to campus.

Western’s Chinese Student Association invites Mustangs to join them on Thursday, Jan. 30 in the Mustang Lounge to experience a three-hour journey of singing, laughter and performance in search of Western’s best musical talent. Presenting: Western Voice.

Eight contestants — Charmaine Chang, Lorenzo Dimaano, Eddie Fu, Makinna Givens, Quincy Griffith, Sneha Kurian, Greg Sykes and Olivia Zarboni — will take to the stage in efforts to prove that they have what it takes to be a star.

Beginning in a round where participants sing in duets, the contenders will compete for four semi-final spots. After an audience poll picks the top four solo singers, they will perform individually in front of a panel of judges.

The panel features the Fung Brothers, a Chinese-American duo of comedians and rappers, and Talal Al-Sharif, last year's champion.

“We are a cultural club. We tried bringing a guest judge that was more representative of the culture so they could tell us what the entertainment field is like from their perspective,” said Jinha Kim, third-year Ivey student and CSA Events Co-Director. “Music isn’t a common route our race pursues; this is a good way to expose students to it.”

The winner of the event will be awarded $500, an opportunity to record their music and a music video, and of course, bragging rights.

“We essentially are trying to give the winner a small microcosm of the music industry, with recording a track and music video, in order to give them a medium to present themselves as artists,” said Nathan Parian, second-year music administration studies student and CSA Events Co-Director.

The competition will also feature speeches from the guest judges, interactive games and performances by Western Ontario Organization of Filipinos and Hip Hop Western.

Tickets are sold online or at the CSA booth in D.B. Weldon Library and the University Community Centre. For $20, students can purchase a general admission package which gives them access to the showcase, launch party and after party.

The VIP package, at $30, provides preferred seating, a meet and greet, launch party and after party.

5
0
0
0
0