+1 
katy de snoo

Katy De Snoo rushes down the field as the Mustangs take on the Queen's Golden Gaels, Oct. 15, 2017.

Katy De Snoo's last two years with the Western Mustangs have been impressive, as the women's lacrosse team went to the Ontario University Athletics finals in back-to-back seasons. De Snoo's rookie campaign was bittersweet;  she was named a first-team OUA all-star before losing to the Trent Excalibur in the 2016 OUA championship game.

The heartbreaking game was marred by an unfortunate mistake;  a scorekeeper incorrectly awarded Trent a goal that would eventually cost the Mustangs an OUA title. 

De Snoo gave some insight into how she and the team harnessed their emotions in the rematch the following season.

“Of course, it was a frustrating situation for everyone involved that year,” said De Snoo. “We felt we had something to prove the next time we played them. However, both us and Trent were different teams the following season, and we had to work really hard at keeping our emotions in check and just going out and playing our game.”

De Snoo and the Mustangs bounced back this past season, defeating Trent in their final regular season game before the OUA playoffs, ousting the Excalibur 15–7. De Snoo led her team to the OUA finals, where they took the championship in a close 9–7 win over the Queen’s Gaels.

De Snoo also captured the OUA Offensive Player of the Year award along with OUA first-team all-star honours. 

+1 
Katy de snoo rapid fire graphic (png)

Courtesy of Kyra Karakatsanis

After a stellar 2017 season, De Snoo and the Mustangs look to duplicate that success again this year.

“I think the recipe for success was just having confidence in the systems our coaches gave us and having confidence that our team could execute them,” said De Snoo. “The individual awards are great, and they mean a lot to me, but they were far less important than winning the OUA championship. That success would not have come without the hard work my teammates and coaches put in.”

According to Mustangs co-head coach Garrett Loubert, De Snoo's successful 2017 campaign was even more impressive considering she played on a blown ACL in the OUA championship game.

“Katy had an outstanding season last year becoming the [Offensive Player of the Year]  in only her second season," said Loubert. “We found out after the season that she blew her ACL in the semi-final where she was named the player of the game and played on it during the final, scoring two very important goals to lead the team to a championship last season.”

De Snoo required surgery in the off-season and has been playing in a reduced role this year. In the first four games of 2018, opposing defences have focused their game plans on containing De Snoo.

“[They] put a face guard on her all weekend,” said Loubert. “Essentially, she had a girl in her face all game covering her with no room for her to move or create offensively.”

However, despite the tough defensive coverage, De Snoo could not be stopped; she scored six points in the Mustangs first two games against Trent and Queen's.

This past weekend, the Mustangs took on the McMaster Marauders and Brock Badgers, collecting two wins to improve their record to 2–2 on the year.

Earlier in the season, De Snoo scored a goal in a game against the Brock  Badgers: receiving a pass in traffic, she split the defence and rifled a shot past the goaltender.

Along with her illustrious university lacrosse career, De Snoo was also a member of the Mustangs ringette team for the last two seasons. This year, however, the kinesiology student has decided to leave the program to join a senior women's team in Richmond Hill, allowing her to focus her time at school on academics and lacrosse.

De Snoo and the Mustangs are back in action on Sunday as they head to Waterloo to play Laurier at 8:30 a.m., followed by a game against Guelph at 1:45 p.m.

6
1
2
0
0