University doesn't need to be a four to five year sentence of hard study in D.B. Weldon Penitentiary. Working among nature — even the manufactured type — is shown to stimulate the mind and improve work quality. Breaking from the walls of our brutalist surroundings may give way to a great scientific breakthrough. And if not, it should at least keep you from that person with their shoes off (?!) in the library.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 5, Beryl).jpg

The Beryl Ivey Garden provides ample seating a garden path to navigate, Aug. 24, 2018.

Beryl Ivey Garden

Built in 2004, this garden features plants from the home of Western's late alumna Beryl Ivey. A tree-lined area along University College's west wall, this space feels comfortably out of the way.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 3, SSC).jpg

The Social Science Centre garden sits in the courtyard between the SSC and the University Community Centre, Aug. 24, 2018.

Social Science Centre garden

This location seems rarely used. Two tables located in Social Science Centre's lower level line a large courtyard garden. The garden's pathway doesn't lead anywhere specific, but perhaps that's a metaphor for the homework you'll be doing.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 2, Huron College).jpg

The Huron College study garden is tucked behind Huron College off Western Road, Aug. 24, 2018.

Huron College study garden

Located northwest of South Hall, this garden offers a green reprieve from everyday business. A number of large stones provide ample seating if you feel like changing your spot every once in a while.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 7, woods).jpg

A downed tree in the woods near the Arts & Humanities Building offers seating for weary travellers, Aug. 24, 2018.

Woods adjacent to Arts & Humanities Building

This spot may seem a little abstract, but if all you need is a solid spot to sit down and read, then these woods will do. There is plenty of coverage to protect from the outside world's peering eyes.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 4, Brescia).jpg

The Brescia University College patio offers shaded dining and studying opportunities, Aug. 24, 2018.

Brescia University College patio

Situated behind Brescia's cafeteria, a few tables and plenty of chairs reside beside a swarth of bushes. The grass along its east side may feel manufactured compared to "real nature" but one takes what they can get.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 1, McIntosh).jpg

The McIntosh Gallery green space, Aug. 24, 2018.

McIntosh Gallery green space

This stone circle is located behind McIntosh Gallery. It isn't off the beaten path, but it beats the indoors. And to the west are picnic tables among trees and sculptures if you need a further change of pace.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 6, bench).jpg

One of the many benches around campus, Aug. 24, 2018.

Benches

Nothing like a few planks of wood to hold up your weary body. Benches are scattered throughout campus, often out of the way and near green spaces, such as this bench between Thames Hall and Somerville House.

+7 
Campus' greenest spots to study (photo 8, King's).jpg

The King's University College patio features tables and benches for sitting and dining, Aug. 24, 2018.

King's University College patio

Similar to Brescia's, this patio behind the Darryl J. King Student Life Centre stashes tables with chairs alongside lush greenery and a gorgeous statue. Plus, there are plenty of windows from where indoor eyes can peer jealously at your sanctitude.

0
0
0
0
0