USC logo

Seven of nine student council presidents have been acclaimed this year.

Nine University Students' Council or faculty council positions were acclaimed in total — meaning the person running has automatically been appointed to the role because they were the only candidate vying for the position.

According to USC communications officer Kevin Hurren, the lack of competition for faculty presidents didn't necessarily indicate a lack of interest.

As for students who may be concerned over the lack of choice available for their faculty president, Hurren encourages students to reach out to the acclaimed candidate and prospective councillors.

"I would say to then engage with the faculty council representatives on the USC because in those we see more competition and say ‘I will vote for you as a USC councillor if you support or don’t support certain things that the president is proposing,' and I think that could also be an interesting dynamic for how students vote for their councillors," Hurren said. "Will they vote for councillors who are in line with or who opposed to the president’s vision?"

Here’s a list of all acclaimed student council presidents:

Faculty of Science: Noor Shakfa

Faculty of Social Science: Rebecca Amoah

Faculty of Arts and Humanities: Carina Gabriele

Health Studies Students’ Association: Kyleen Wong

Nursing Students’ Association: Hannah Gregor

Faculty of Information and Media Studies: Krista Pereira 

Faculty of Music: Jaclyn Siou

0
0
0
0
0

Hamza was editor-in-chief for Volume 110 of the Gazette. Previously, he was the breaking news editor for Volume 109, news editor for Volume 108 and staff writer for Volume 107. Contact Hamza at htariq270@gmail.com.