O'Neil / Ridley Hall (Photo)

Huron's O'Neil/Ridley Hall, Oct. 22, 2018.

A discarded marijuana joint set fire to an O'Neil/Ridley Hall residence room Friday morning, causing $2,000 in damages.

The London Fire Department said the joint was left in a recycling bin by a bed, which was set ablaze. The room's smoke detector was covered with a plastic bag.

Western University's director of campus community police services Dan Redmond said he was not aware of any charges being pressed. He said the only relevant charge would be arson, which would require proof of intent to set the fire. He suspected this was not the case, and authorities are treating the fire as an accident.

However, Western's recently updated cannabis policy bans smoking anywhere on campus, meaning Huron University College could punish them for this violation.

O'Neil/Ridley Hall is an upper-year Huron building with 185 co-ed residents. The fire occurred two full days after the federal government legalized cannabis on Oct. 17.

0
6
0
1
2

Martin is the Senior News Editor at the Gazette. You can contact him at martin.allen@westerngazette.ca, or @mtrallen on Twitter.