USC elections 2019 - FIMS

Cameron Hart 

Cameron Hart - MIT president candidate

Cameron Hart.

What is your current year and program? 

I am currently in my third year in MIT.  

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

My favourite campus eatery is The Spoke. 

Why are you running for this position? 

I am running for FIMSSC president because I want to create a student government accessible to all students while seeking every opportunity to improve their day-to-day life and remind them they are never alone. 

What do you see as the biggest challenge faced by students in your faculty?

I believe the biggest challenge faced by FIMS students is a lack of academic support outside of class. 

How do you hope to mitigate this? 

I hope to mitigate this by introducing exam prep sessions for 1000 and 2000 level mandatory classes and creating an online peer-editing portal that offers students personalized strategies to reach the peak of their potential as a writer. 

What are the three most important initiatives you hope to accomplish in your term? 

In my term, it is vitally important to me that I implement my previously mentioned academic services, introduce the FIMS+ speaker series studying topics like AI, climate change and LGBTQ issues in collaboration with the Faculties of Science, Social Science, Arts and Music, and lastly to simplify the process of seeking academic accommodation so that students do not face additional pressure in times of crisis and instead believe that their school supports them. 

Why do you think you are best suited for this position? 

I am best suited for this position because I have experienced the way our council serves the student body both as a member and as a regular student. My two different experiences have allowed me to best understand what is done right and where FIMSSC’s efforts fall short. As FIMSSC president, it will always be my number one priority to ensure that our council is always doing everything in its power to improve the lives of every student equally.

Kyra Balogh 

Kyra Balogh - MIT president candidate

Kyra Balogh.

What is your current year and program? 

Year three, specialization in MIT and a minor in English.

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

The Spoke, of course! 

Why are you running for this position?

I am running for this position because although I have been able to grow on the FIMSSC for the past three years, I have also seen changes that need to be made to better student experience and increase student opportunity. 

What do you see as the biggest challenge faced by students in your faculty?  

I believe that there is a problem in our faculty in regard to the communication between the student body and the resources available to them. Oftentimes, students are graduating with a lack of transferable skills because they are not aware of the available resources to them in both the FIMS and Western community. 

How do you hope to mitigate this? 

I have worked to establish new opportunities to gain production experience for FIMS students throughout my undergraduate career. Initiatives, such as the new Student Production Fund, have given students the financial opportunity to express their creativity and put production into practice. I also plan on implementing hard skills workshops  in order to give students tangible experience to boost their resume and portfolio. These initiatives, alongside better communication amongst the FIMS study body, will lead to more students gaining valuable skills from the resources available to them. 

I plan to ratify a "student support commissioner" who will lead a wellness team in order to ensure that a student’s mental and physical wellbeing is a constant priority throughout the school year. I am also passionate about implementing hard skills workshops to give FIMS students tangible skills to boost their portfolio and resume; these workshops will familiarize students with software and skills in Photoshop, website design, photography and more. Finally, I intend to advertise, support and create student resources, such as the new Student Production Fund, the Travel Fund and the Undergraduate Student Fund in order for students to make the most out of their faculty donations. 

I believe that I am best suited for this position because I am experienced, passionate and driven. My experience as a student leader in FIMS has been ongoing, providing me with a thorough knowledge of policy, as well as opportunities to foster a great relationship with student leaders and administration. This experience has stemmed a passion, not only for leadership, but for a faculty that I have grown to love over the past three years. This has ignited my drive to be the best leader I can be and implement changes that ensure that all students are truly happy with their FIMS experience. 

0
0
0
0
0