Taylee Jackson

Taylee Jackson - nursing association president candidate

Taylee Jackson.

What is your current year and program? 

Year two, bachelor of science in nursing.

What is your favourite campus eatery?

Booster Juice — it is my go-to for energy at any time of the day. 

Why are you running for this position?

I am running for president of the Western-Fanshawe Nursing Students' Association because I want to make a positive change in the nursing community at both Western and Fanshawe. Being part of the WFNSA as vice-president [of] charity and year two representative has given me a perspective from both sites of the program and an opportunity to discover the needs/wants of students. Ultimately, this has motivated me to run for president and work toward making change to improve students' experience and enjoyment throughout their time in the program.

What do you see as the biggest challenge faced by students in your faculty?

I believe that among the challenges of the nursing faculty, the biggest challenge faced by students is heavy course content, which impacts students' mental health, ability to socialize and overall well-being.

How do you hope to mitigate this?

I plan to mitigate this by providing opportunities to improve student experience that will increase socialization among different years of the program, CTF (compressed time frame) and both sites; help to alleviate stress from academics; and maintain well-being. Throughout my time as president, I will do so by incorporating students' voices to ensure that the WFNSA is meeting the needs of students and fulfilling its role as a student association. I strongly believe in the saying "doing with, not for," and as a candidate for president, I want students to know that I am here to help accomplish change WITH them.

What are the three most important initiatives you hope to accomplish in your term?

The three most important initiatives I hope to accomplish within my term are to strengthen collaboration, offer support and create opportunities for students. 

Strengthen Collaboration
  • between Western University and Fanshawe College nursing students
  • between years one to four of the program and CTF
  • between WFNSA and other student councils
Offer Support
  • peer support groups
  • organized events (review sessions/stress relief/well-being)
  • advocacy for students
  • references to resources (at both Fanshawe College and Western University)
Create Opportunity
  • to enhance knowledge, experience and overall enjoyment
  • give a sense of belonging and accomplishment
  • in the form of clubs, groups, events and volunteering
(More in-depth and organized details can be retrieved from the platform page on my campaign website.)

Why do you think you are best suited for this position?

I think that I am best suited for this position because of my unique experiences with leadership and mentoring, as well as my compassion for helping others. Working with a variety of different age groups in different contexts has given me insight and experience on how to collaborate within a leadership position that is beneficial to others. Some examples of my experiences include:

• Founder of Evolve Nonprofit Organization (a non-profit that enables post-secondary students in health and health-related programs to volunteer within the community to relieve inequity of vulnerable populations)
  • WFNSA vice-president [of] charity
  • WFNSA year two representative
  • President of Fanshawe Nursing Student Voice
  • Dance instructor (instructor for ages two to 17 for three years in jazz, acro, ballet, contemporary, lyrical, open, musical theatre and hip-hop)
  • Fitness instructor (founder/owner of Little Spark Fitness, a fitness program for ages five to 13)
  • Athletic Council president (Centre Dufferin District High School)
  • Founder of Star Catchers Foundation (founded in 2012 to raise funds and awareness for SickKids Foundation, to date I have hosted 12 SickKids fundraisers)

Virgilio Manabat

Virgilio Manabat - nursing association president candidate

Virgilio Manabat.

What is your current year and program? 

Year two of the four-year collaborative nursing program (Western Site). 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Tims — gotta get the caffeine fix in!  

Why are you running for this position? 

The WFNSA presents an excellent opportunity for advocacy and change by nursing students, for nursing students. I want to help nursing students through our association to help improve our program and voice the concerns of our students. 

Stress management and mental health, by far. Between the strike that Fanshawe students experienced in 2017, the two student deaths that occurred within our faculty last academic year and the lack of communication and advocacy between students and faculty, nursing students have been majorly struggling both inside and outside of the classroom.  

How do you hope to mitigate this? 

Proactiveness. I will not wait for another crisis to happen to spark change. Enough has happened to our students — saying that "all nurses have gone through this" is no longer a good enough excuse. I want to spark change now through creating a conversation around the expectations faculty have of nursing students and what the school and our association can do to support us students.  

In no particular order: Wellness Wednesdays, increased intra-faculty collaboration and a council for the people. Wellness Wednesdays — as an initiative brought forward by other student governments, such as the Science Students’ Council, I want to promote weekly wellness initiatives to help create a culture of mindfulness within our faculty. Nursing school is hard, and I want people to appreciate how hard they are working and how far they have already come since that first classic year one. Increased intra-faculty collaboration — I want to see more work and discussion between the Western and Fanshawe sites of the program, as well as advocating for equal and fair expectations from all students, regardless of their site or instructor. A council for the people — most of the ideas I have already are concerns that I have heard from students. I want to make the WFNSA a student council for students, steering our goals [and] keeping our students’ best interests in mind.

I have been on council now for two years as a year representative, and in that time I have heard a lot of feedback from various students about what they want and need from their program; what is working and what isn’t. Using this knowledge and experience from other leadership positions (manager at McD’s and co-president of my secondary school’s music council, I believe that I know how to both identify the concerns students have and work toward finding a solution to those concerns, together.

Vivianne Quang

Vivianne Quang - nursing president candidate

Vivianne Quang.

What is your current year and program? 

I am a second-year student in the Western-Fanshawe collaborative nursing program. 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

I am quite passionate about Pita Pit. 

Why are you running for this position? 

The primary reason is honestly because I care. My past year on the WFNSA as vice-president collaborative liaison has given me the opportunity to better understand the needs of students at both sites, and I am dedicated to improving student life. I want to hear students’ voices and create change with students because I believe in the strength of collaboration and community. 

A lot of the stress that many nursing students face comes from our heavy course load and feelings of lacking support. 

How do you hope to mitigate this? 

I will continue advocating for and providing resources to students who require support and accommodation. I also hope to build a stronger nursing community through events and initiatives because I understand that peer support is incredibly important in our program. 

1. Create and maintain a feedback system open all year round where the concerns will be brought to and addressed by faculty members. I am committed to ensuring that we, as students, have a say in our education. 

1. Mental health initiatives including awareness campaigns and nursing-specific resources. 

1. Social events to let students have a fun mental health break while creating a welcoming learning environment. 

If I can take action, I absolutely will. I have experience on the WFNSA, as well as a lot of previous leadership experience. I am passionate, hardworking and creative. I am confident that I will do my best to make the changes that students want to see.

0
0
0
0
0