USC elections 2019- science council

Angheliki Evdoxiadis 

Angheliki Evdoxiadis - science councillor candidate

Angheliki Evdoxiadis.

What is your current year and program? 

I am a fifth-year student pursuing a major in biology and a minor in women’s studies. 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

The Grad Club — they offer great food and have been a Western tradition for decades! 

Why are you running for this position? 

As someone who has been at this institution for a number of years, I have run into several issues here, as well having had many amazing experiences. Being a person of action, I am not satisfied in simply experiencing — I wish to be a key figure in shaping the experiences this school has to offer by fixing the negative and improving the positive. 

Why do you think you are best suited for this position? 

As aforementioned, I have been here longer than many undergraduate students and have therefore run into situations that I didn’t even know were problems in my earlier years of study. I am also currently the VP events of the Women’s Studies Student Collective — the women’s studies and feminist research department student council — as well as the women’s studies department representative on the Arts and Humanities Students’ Council. This means I have experience working in a student council and have experience representing a student body, which I intend to utilize to best represent the Faculty of Science at the level of the university should I be elected.

Artika Pahargarh 

Artika Pahargarh - science councillor candidate

Artika Pahargarh.

What is your current year and program? 

First-year medical sciences.

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

The Spoke — My favourite menu item is the cheddar and herb bagel with spinach and feta cream cheese.

Why are you running for this position? 

I want to turn my passion into action. Running for science councillor allows me to affect positive change and tangible differences. I am running a “SET” platform based on three points: Safety, Experience and Transportation. I hope to address the issues surrounding sexual violence, better engage students with SSC and USC to bolster student event engagement and promote stronger transparency and communication, as well as revamp the Mustang Express. Along with this, I want to inspire other students to take action and join the USC in the future. Motivated students with a fire within them have the ability to start a movement.  

During my time at Western, I have noticed the need for improvements in some areas and want to serve as the change agent representing the student body. I believe I am best suited for this position as I am motivated to bring a change and have the execution capabilities given my previous experience of serving on my high school student council as chief financial officer and been a part of the Science Students' Council this year. With these experiences, I have been able to develop many transferable skills, such as planning, organizing, staffing, teamwork, communication and how to effectively tackle problems that arise. My outreach and dependability make me a reliable candidate who will contribute to make positive changes at the school, as well as serve my fellow students. 

Bahar Entezari 

Bahar Entezar - science councillor candidate

Bahar Entezari

What is your current year and program? 

Third-year medical sciences.

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

The Spoke (the turkey bagelwich on Canadian harvest is amazing!!!).

Why are you running for this position? 

Having been on the Science Students’ Council over the last three years, starting off as a member of the events committee in my first year, then moving on to being an events commissioner in second year, and finally acting as the vice-president of student events this year, I have had the opportunity to plan and execute numerous academic and social events for students in the Faculty of Science. All the while, I was able to interact with my constituents to gain an understanding of their needs and wants. This has been an incredibly rewarding experience, and I would like to take this role further as a science councillor to connect the work of the SSC to that of the USC to pool together the resources of these organizations in order to implement and ameliorate larger scale initiatives that will meet the needs of science students.  

My experience in student politics on the Science Students’ Council over the last three years here at Western, in conjunction with my welcoming character and dedication, make me an ideal candidate for science councillor. I have first-hand experience interacting with students in the Faculty of Science, continuously learning about their changing needs and working with various student and staff groups to adapt the services and programming provided by the Science Students’ Council to meet these needs. I intend on taking the skills I have acquired through these experiences to the USC, especially to the Student Experience Standing Committee, to collaborate with other student leaders and provide direction and policy on programming offered to Western science students by both the USC and SSC. 

Jacky Lee 

Jacky Lee - science councillor candidate

Jacky Lee.

What is your current year and program? 
First-year medical sciences.

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Bagels at The Spoke.

Why are you running for this position? 

This position would allow me to work and coordinate operations between the University Students' Council and Science Students' Council. I am passionate about student leadership and would like to use my skills to improve the student experience. Many students feel disconnected from student councils, and through a grassroots approach, I will ensure students have more opportunities to be involved with student politics.  

In the past few years, I have worked with different politicians to increase community engagement, promote youth activism and provide opportunities for citizens to connect with their local MPs and MPPs. I would like to bring these best practices to the USC and SSC and increase support for student initiatives. As well, my involvement with non-profit organizations, such as Volunteer Toronto, has enabled me to develop an evidence-based approach to solving problems and obtaining feedback. Finally, I understand the struggles of university as a fellow science student, and I hope we can work together to build a plan that puts students first.

Matthew Yee

Matthew Yee - science councillor candidate

Matthew Yee.

What is your current year and program?  

I am currently studying in my second year of biology/medical sciences.  

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Definitely The Spoke!! 

Why are you running for this position? 

I am running for this position as a USC science councillor because I want to reach out to science students to make sure that they not only have a great university experience, but also have a great faculty experience in science. As part of heightening this school experience, I look especially to reach out to first-year students and connect with them to get involved in student politics and have a passion for the things that matter to them. I believe that we must invest in these students because they will one day grow to be the future of Western, as well as science, both on campus and globally. The USC and SSC have the power to influence students to change the Western community for the better, and I hope to bring my ideas and contributions to this change. 

Why do you think that you are best suited for this position? 

With my experience as a residence soph and on Residents’ Council, I believe that I can use my skills to help reach a wide variety of individuals and bring them closer to the Faculty of Science and the USC in a personal and inviting way. I hope to extend similar goals of the amazing orientation program, in order to create a diverse community of people and ideas within the Faculty of Science.

Moeez Tahir 

Moeez Tahir - science councillor candidate

Moeez Tahir.

What is your current year and program?

Second-year biology.

What is your favourite campus eatery?

The Grad Club! 

Why are you running for this position? 

More than ever, there needs to be a bond between the USC and the students that it represents. This means passionate and engaged students need to be on council to address the needs and matters pertaining to the student body. Council needs members who will be able to deliver and advocate on what is important to our student body. This includes mental health resources and linking students to our community resources available, which requires us to build more connections with these organizations. With regard to day-to-day academics, I’ve heard many complaints from students regarding the availability and flexibility of modules. One such case that has come up is with programs such as neuroscience, which is only offered as an honors program but not as a minor or major for students missing out on one or two requirements. As a USC councillor, I would work with Student Senators and the administration to explore and address this.

On campus, I’ve been involved in committees, such as the Student Services Committee as one of two undergraduate representatives, which has given me a great understanding of the fee structure and the possible fallouts regarding the recent decisions of the provincial government to make ancillary fees optional. I am also currently the Ward 6 Youth Councillor with the London Youth Advisory Council, an area encasing our campus. My balance between community experience and USC experience puts me in the best position to deliver on my platform of more community supports with regard to mental health and course registration concerns.

Muhammad Ali

What is your current year and program? 

I am a third-year student doing a specialization in microbiology and immunology. 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

I absolutely love Quesada! It’s pretty low-key, but they’re the best burritos on campus! 

Why are you running for this position? 

I’m running for this position because I genuinely think that I can help to make a positive impact for Faculty of Science students and students at Western as a whole. I’ve always enjoyed being an active member of the community, and this seems like a great way to give back to a school that has given me so much to be thankful for! 

I honestly think that I’m the best suited for this position because I believe that being able to set realistic, achievable and effective goals is the key to making an impact. My platform is based on the idea that the best way to create a campus that works for the students is to increase student participation in USC and faculty politics, increase USC transparency and improve communication between the students and the USC. I strongly believe that I have, and can advocate for, realistic changes that can occur over a one-year term, and that I have the drive to make it happen.

Muhammad (Preferred Faran) Khalid

Muhammad Khalid - science councillor candidate

Muhammad Khalid.

What is your current year and program? 

I am a medical and computer science student currently completing my second year. 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Currently in pursuit of finding a new favourite since chimichangas were discontinued at the Wave. 

Why are you running for this position? 

Passionate about student advocacy and engagement, I wish to bridge the gap between the student body and student government. The voter turnout for elections year and year again speaks for this disconnect. Amidst a time where all eyes are focused on the student council to advocate in the best interests of the students for tuition and OSAP changes, it is important to have complete transparency and open communication — something I will ensure as councillor. Advocating for issues most urgent to students at Western would be at the forefront of my efforts. Much has changed over the past years and much still needs to be changed! 

Actively involved in the USC and various cultural and academic clubs in the Western and London community, I have gained a profound understanding of the sensitive safety and mental health concerns students have. I am passionate about bettering the student experience, increasing involvement and advocating for academic reforms. Moving forward with such a well-versed knowledge of the intricacies and challenges of these issues will allow me to serve in the best interests of Western students. You can learn more about my platform at: www.fb.com/faranK2019.

Niveda Balananthan

Niveda Balananthan - science councillor candidate

Niveda Balananthan.

What is your current year and program? 

I’m in second year of the medical sciences program. 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

My favourite campus eatery is Pita Pit! 

Why are you running for this position? 

I’m running for the position because I believe that there are things to be fixed on campus, and I want to be apart of moving our campus toward positive change. My platform has three pillars which are: better mental health resources, accessible course resources and more student involvement. I want to be the voice of science students by listening to their ideas and working with the USC and SSC to turn them into initiatives on campus! 

I believe that I am best suited for this position because I have had various leadership experiences that have prepared me for a role like this. I am extremely passionate about my platform and will work hard to turn those ideas into a reality. I love working with new people and listening to the ideas of others. I am not afraid to fight for what I believe in! I love Western and will work towards making it a better place. I wish luck to the other candidates running!

Note: Babafemi Adewusi and Chopel Shredup did not respond to requests for comment. Muhammad Ali did not send photos.

Update (3:23 p.m., Feb. 4): This article was updated with Jack Lee's photo upon receiving.

0
1
0
0
0