Anne Campbell

Anne Campbell

What is your current year and program?  

Second year political science.

What is your favourite campus eatery?  

Spoke is life. 

Why are you running for this position?  

I am running to ensure that the USC prioritizes an inclusive Western culture, works to destigmatize the topic of mental health and ensures that social science students have the platform to voice their opinions and concerns regarding the Western student experience.  

Why do you think you are best suited for this position? 

I am best suited for this role because I will use my previous experience as a 2018-19  social science councillor, social science soph and executive on the Active Minds advocacy team to create positive change for Western students.

Celine Mano

Celine Mano - social science councillor candidate

Celine Mano.

What is your current year and program? 

First-year economics.  

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Riverside at NCB! It’s really quiet and nice in the mornings, and the ladies running the café are absolutely wonderful to chat with. 

Why are you running for this position? 

I genuinely believe that student advocacy is important. Far too many students are disconnected from the USC, and I would like to change that. Moreover, I look forward to meeting more students. Already, through campaigning within residences, I have been able to chat with students about the issues that matter most to them. Finally, I wish to advocate for certain important issues on campus. Ways to access mental health services are often poorly communicated, leading students to be shuffled between different services and numerous intake appointments. I also want to try and create better connections between university students and community organizations. 

I am comfortable voicing my opinion, and eager to learn more about the issues that arise on campus. Moreover, I am familiar with student government and advocacy from participating on Social Science Students' Council as well as Residence Council. In high school, I was heavily involved with leading numerous clubs and teams. 

More importantly, I have experience with the issues I seek to address. I am familiar with the health care system here at Western, and through volunteering with programs downtown, I am conscious that there are needs within the London community that Western students can work towards improving.

Jayden Sohal

Jayden Sohal - social science councillor candidate

Jayden Sohal.

What is your current year and program? 

I am a first-year in BMOS.

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Favourite campus eatery has to be The Spoke.

Why are you running for this position? 

Attending Western is a privilege that I get to share with so many great students, and I truly believe it is up to us students to shape experience. And because of this, I put forth my campaign as councillor to further enhance the great opportunities our community shares. 

As a member of the Social Science Students' Council, I have had the opportunity to view our university in a completely different dynamic. I have been able to observe the inner workings and politics that push forward our community. Additionally, my greatest value in my campaign is the opinions of my fellow students. Their opinions and perspective of our community is what the USC cherishes most, and as a candidate, I think that is something that I have a strong grasp on.

Leo Xu

Leo Xu - social science councillor candidate

Leo Xu. 

What is your current year and program? 

I am a first-year student studying political science. 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

I love Quesada in Somerville House! Their spicy chicken burrito is a go-to for me, extra points for guac. 

Why are you running for this position? 

I am running for social science councillor because student voice at Western matters to me. Our campus is home to diversity in every imaginable regard, and they should not be taken for granted. It is the medley of voices at Western that gives our community strength, and I wish to bring forward these voices into conversations at USC and SSSC. I am gracious for my experience here, but also I continue to pinpoint ways in which student experience and engagement can develop. As councillor, I am driven to help promote holistic growth for students by assisting with course selection procedures, facilitating exchanges between USC, SSSC and our students, increasing outreach with the City of London and much more. In all, I am running to help students to not only see Western as a great school, but as a welcoming home and an empowering place to grow. 

Since day one of my campaign, I have been dedicated to reach out to students across academic buildings, residences and on social media. As a candidate who has advocated for young people and students with the RCMP, WE and the London MP Youth Council, I am confident in my abilities to represent your interests. I am committed to promote a tangible platform and to speak one-on-one with as many students as possible. As a member of the USC advocacy task force, I understand this time may be saturated with candidate promotions. Nevertheless, I assure you that your concerns and opinions matter to me, let’s chat!

Liam Cronin

Liam Cronin - social science councillor candidate

Liam Cronin.

What is your current year and program? 

I am currently in second-year specialization political science.

What is your favourite campus eatery?

My favourite campus eatery has got to be The Spoke, I practically live there.

Why are you running for this position? 

I genuinely want to make tangible change on a number of key issue areas that I feel Western is not properly addressing, particularly issues of student safety, student wellness and student engagement.

I think I am best suited for this position because I am an engaged, active student, but most of all because I am a cooperative person and am willing to work through any challenges that I will have to face in this role. 

Matt Reesor 

What is your current year and program? 

Third year political science.

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

Basic BUT — The Spoke (Canadian harvest with roasted red).

Why are you running for this position?

I am running for this position as I feel it is the best possible opportunity I have to make tangible changes in Western students’ day-to-day lives and their overall university experience. This position allows me to do my favourite thing in the world — talk to people — and then have the capability to act on their statements and do my best to bring their wants/needs to life. 

I think I am best suited for this position as I have experienced Western from three different perspectives — a member of the Social Science Students’ Council, as a faculty soph, and as a USC club executive (Climbing) — and as a result, I have seen things that I personally wish to see change. More importantly, however, I feel that given these experiences I am better suited to understand a wide variety of students’ concerns and wishes on campus and will therefore allow me to serve the student body in an optimal manner.  

Milana Kustoviwova 

Milana Kustovinova - social science councillor candidate

Milana Kustovinova.

What is your current year and program?

Second year, specialization in MOS accounting, minor in political science.

What is your favourite campus eatery?

Most definitely, hands-down, The Spoke! 

Why are you running for this position?

I have always been incredibly passionate about student advocacy, which I demonstrated by getting involved in student politics all throughout my both high school and university academic careers. Spending this year as a chief returning officer on Social Science Students' Council and observing the impact that students’ voices can have on improving the undergraduate experience has inspired me to run for the position. As a councillor, I would ensure that students’ voices are heard and their interests are represented. 

Why do you think you are best suited for this position?: My passion for innovation and previous experience with being involved in student politics played equal parts into my decision. Many of my friends are current USC councillors, and after learning more about the role, I am thrilled to apply and be considered. I believe that my candidacy for this role is highlighted by the support I have received from my friends and peers when they learned about my campaign. I am best suited for this position because of my drive for change my interest in representing the Western undergraduate community and my passion for advocacy! The university experience is what you make of it, and as a USC councillor, I will ensure that the experience students receive at Western is unparalleled! 

Niyonella Kamera 

Niyonella Kamera - social science councillor candidate

Niyonella Kamera.

What is your current year and program?

I'm in first year general social science.

What is your favourite campus eatery?

My favourite on-campus eatery is definitely The Spoke! I can't get enough of their chicken fingers!

Why are you running for this position?

I'm running for social science councillor because I believe the faculty needs councillors who aren't afraid of speaking up for all students and truly addressing all students' diverse needs.

I am not afraid to talk about what matters and I value representation for all. Anyone can represent those who are vocal, but it takes a lot to represent students who may not be as engaged in student government. I'm not afraid to reach out to those students; their voices matter too. If elected councillor, I will be committed to uplifting as many voices as possible! 

Vishal Vijay

What is your current year and program?

First year, politics, philosophy and economics.

What is your favourite campus eatery?

The Wave.

Why are you running for this position?

During my time on Social Science Students' Council (first year rep), I was inspired to strengthen the Western community and bring you the #1 Student Experience, under one unified Voice!

From serving on the board of directors of an international charity as a youth member to advising the federal government, I believe in the power of using our voices to advocate for and effect change. I will bring this passion and dedication to USC to bring you the best Western experience! As social sci councillor, I will:

- Promote the inclusion of all students on campus in programming and resources, and introduce policy change for a safer campus

- Advocate for more mental health resources and academic accommodations available to students

- Sponsor a more green campus with healthier food options and eco alternatives

- Represent the interests of all social science students, maintaining open communication, transparency and visibility

Zamir Fakirani

What is your current year and program?  

I’m in my second year studying politics, philosophy and economics! 

What is your favourite campus eatery? 

I’m not sure if this makes me basic or a true Mustang, but it’s for sure The Spoke! I eat there almost daily. 

Why are you running for this position? 

Serving as the secretary of the Social Science Students’ Council this year, I have witnessed first-hand the tremendous impact student advocacy and action can have on the operations of the school. Take, for example, the executives' meetings with the dean to oppose budget cuts, or the implementation of new events such as the Graduate Program Fair. This is a process I would like to be further involved in and truly believe that I could well promote the aspirations of the students in my faculty.  

When I first arrived at Ontario Hall last September, I was greeted by the kindest, most energetic group of people. Even earlier when I visited Western in the summer prior to my first year, I immediately felt right at home. From being sophed to becoming a soph, every aspect of my student experience has instilled in me a sense of belonging to this school. I believe what sets me apart and will help me to be successful as a councillor is this passion and dedication I have for Western. I am genuinely dedicated to improving the facilities at Western to ensure that the school can continue to offer the best student experience possible. If elected, this fervour is an asset I will bring to every council meeting and will guide me in ensuring that all the voices of social science students are given the respect and attention that they deserve.

Note: Akmilesh Prasad, Anthony Berg, Darlene Seong, Glen Hebert and Keenan Clarke did not respond to requests for comment. Matt Reesor, Vishal Vijay and Zamir Fakirani did not send photos.

1
1
1
0
0