FIMS 

Katherine Bennett

(FIMS)KatherineB.jpg

What is your current year and program?

Third-year, honors Media, Information and Technoculture.

Why do you think you're best suited for the role of president?

During my three years in the FIMS community, I have met individuals who ignited my passion for our program, ultimately leading me to roles in student leadership. I have experienced every circle of FIMS — from outside the leadership circle, to an executive position on the FIMSSC to advocating within the USC. I am ready to take on the role of president, to implement policies [that] benefit students and dedicate myself to bettering FIMS, all whilst proudly wearing my jean jacket.

What do you hope to accomplish as faculty president?

After chatting with students and graduates from across FIMS, I have consolidated the concerns raised into one concise, achievable platform. As president, I will focus on the involvement of FIMS students in FIMSSC matters, collaborating with FIMS teams to ensure a cohesive working environment and connecting students to their peers through the Peer Support Network. I will introduce an internship support system though continuing my work with the USC and FIMS administration, simplifying the application process and broadening opportunities for FIMS students. I hope to continue this collaboration with FIMS administration to create a digital alumni network, where FIMS students can connect with past FIMS students and gain information on programs and careers post-graduation.

What’s your Spoke Bagel order? 

Herb and garlic bagel with roasted red pepper cream cheese — it tastes like pizza, I swear.

Victoria Giguere

(FIMS)VictoriaG.jpg

What is your current year and program?

I'm in third-year honors Media, Information and Technoculture!

Why do you think you’re best suited for the position of president? 

I started my FIMS journey as a member of street team, advocacy team and Openwide. As the current FIMSSC vice-president of communications, I’ve worked to expand FIMS' production initiatives. 

My platform has three goals: fostering inclusivity, opportunity and support so that every student can feel understood. I am passionate, creative and dedicated, and as president, I will work to make your university experience the best it can be. Let’s redefine FIMS together! 

What’s your Spoke bagel order? 

I’m always either at FIMS and Nursing Building or the Spoke, enjoying my third jalapeno cheddar with spinach and feta of the week.

Kristen Le

(FIMS)KristenLe.jpg

What is your current year and program?

Third-year, Media, Information and Technoculture.

I am not the loudest person in the room; I listen and speak when I can add substance. The conflation of loudness and being a good leader is misguided and subsequently keeps the student leadership circle centralized. As a result, students aren’t being accurately represented and effectively responded to. This inevitably polarizes students into their information silos that isolates them from opportunities. I have personally grown from knowing what differences can be made when presented with opportunity and want students to have that ability. My passion and dynamic experiences will allow me to bring the changes needed into fruition.

I know first-hand that a one-off experience can be discouraging. I was rejected from first-year rep but was elected as the youngest vice-president of finance later that year. From this experience, I saw the impact that student governance can have. I hope to engage students with opportunities to grow in spite of those one-off experiences. Students should have the support and clarity they otherwise would have had with hindsight in fourth-year. I want to improve the resources we have available, making them more accessible. I hope to initiate an agenda that speaks to all students.

What’s your Spoke Bagel order? 

Ham and swiss on jalapeno!

Arts and Humanities 

Ray Reid

(A&H)RayR.png

What is your current year and program?

I am a fourth-year student pursuing an honors specialization in English language and literature with a major in theatre studies!

Being a part of Western’s orientation program for the majority of my university career as a residence soph, faculty soph and this year serving as programming assistant for the Arts and Humanities soph team has given me important insight into how students’ academic well-being depends heavily on the community they build around them. I am passionate about inclusivity, community engagement and faculty pride because in my humble opinion, the Faculty of Arts and Humanities has some of the most passionate individuals on campus and we all need them to be a more active presence!

As faculty president, I primarily want to provide Arts and Humanities students with more leadership opportunities to be actively engaged in the betterment of the faculty. This will take the form of creating new council positions designed to engage with students at different points of their university careers and overall strengthen the connectivity of the Arts and Humanities community. As a smaller faculty, students should never feel uninformed or that their ideas are too small for council to be concerned about. As president, I promise to build upon the hard work of my predecessors and ensure Arts and Humanities students are inspired by their faculty.

What’s your Spoke Bagel order? 

Asiago sourdough with butter, can’t go wrong with a classic!

Music 

Lara Plokhaar

(Music)LaraP.jpg

What is your current year and program?

Third-year, bachelor of art with specialization in music.

I have been on student council the past two years and I have also been on the London Youth Symphony board for two years. These two organizations have helped me learn about how organizations work. I am also someone who never gives up and I will fight for anything that comes up! 

I hope to create an inclusive community within the faculty by creating an accessibility commissioner. They will oversee any accessibility issues and work closely with the wellness commissioner. My goal is also to creat[e] a better online presence through our social media (but not spam). Another goal is communication, I want the faculty to know what is going on so as president I would write monthly info blurbs. I also have a service dog (Grainger) and my goal by becoming president is also to show that disabilities don’t necessarily hold you back, I want to show people that I can do anything.

What’s your Spoke bagel order?

Asiago bagel, toasted with feta and spinach cream cheese.

1
0
0
0
0

Hope Mahood is the opinions editor for Volume 113. Email her at opinions@westerngazette.ca or find her on Twitter @hope_mahood