Cecilia Liu

Current year and program: third-year music arts and psychology 

Favourite item at The Spoke: A veggie bagelwich on jalapeno cheddar with herb and garlic cream cheese with an unsweetened soy iced coffee 

Why are you running for faculty president this year?

I've always been part of the music program in both elementary school, high school and now during university at Western University. All of my life, I have seen the under-representation of small, minority programs and the lack of both funding and engagement that comes as a result. I want to run for music faculty president because I believe that being small in numbers doesn't mean we can't make a great change and impact on the Western and London communities.

What do you see as the biggest challenge faced by students in your faculty?

In music programs, a great challenge is always increasing the engagement and gaining the respect of the rest of the university. Being a small program, it is more challenging to have a real presence and be impactful in bigger communities. As president, I want to increase the presence of the Faculty of Music throughout the Western and London communities by strongly advocating for our students and engaging in cross-collaborations with larger faculties and the University Students' Council.

As president, what are the three most important initiatives you hope to accomplish in your term?

I hope to address the issue of the lack of transparency between faculty members and our undergraduate students by taking a proactive stance in informing both parties of any ongoing issues.

I also want to focus on mental health education and the importance of self-care within the Faculty of Music. I plan on educating our student leaders, peers and faculty members on the importance of mental health and how we can provide support for both ourselves and our peers.

My last initiative is to increase the amount of collaboration on events with associations within council, other faculty councils and the USC. 

How have your previous experiences prepared you for this position?

During my time at Western I've been both a faculty and residence soph, was the president of Delaware Hall Residents' Council and am currently vice-president events on the Faculty of Music Students' Council. These experiences combined have encouraged my communication and advocating skills which I believe are essential to the position of faculty president. I've learned a lot in my two and a half years as a student leader, and I only hope to give back to the Western community the amount of growth I've experienced as a student leader thus far.

Kathleen Marck-Wilson

Current year and program: third-year honors in music with a minor in French language studies

Favourite item at The Spoke: Turkey bagelwich on a jalapeno cheddar bagel

Throughout my time here at Western University, I have had the opportunity to take part of some incredible experiences within my own faculty and the Western community. These experiences have truly shaped me into the person I am today, and I want to give back to my faculty and community by making next year a great year. I want to ensure that all students have a voice and are engaged with what’s going on in their faculty and campus. It's time for a change, and I’m ready to be that facilitator.

The biggest challenge faced by students in my faculty is the perception of our faculty. We are a minority faculty on campus, in fact the smallest faculty on campus in terms of number of students. Regardless of our faculty size, the students in my faculty deserve proper representation; their voices matter. The Faculty of Music currently has one seat on the University Students' Council; it’s difficult for one person to represent an entire faculty. Through advocacy, I hope to reshape the perception of my faculty and show the Western community the value and strength in and of a minority faculty.

As president my biggest initiatives is improving the communication in the faculty among students, student council and the administration. I hope to gain more open communication between all members of our faculty and ensure information is being relayed to students efficiently and effectively. Students shouldn’t be in the dark about what’s going on within their faculty. Also, I hope to improve the collaboration and communication between student council and the different student organizations in our faculty including Music Education Students' Association, Peer Guides (the peer mentorship program within music) and the faculty sophs. Advocacy is my next biggest initiative; if elected I plan to be the loudest advocate for my faculty and students within the faculty and up the hill at USC meetings. Music currently has only one chair on USC. We may be the smallest faculty on campus, but music matters. My third initiative would be to look at making the required ensemble credit a credit with a grade instead of a satisfactory or unsatisfactory credit.

I have been fortunate to be apart of many different experiences here at Western and within my own faculty, such as being a faculty soph, two years experience on the Faculty of Music Students' Council and two years as a Peer Guide (one being the media and promotions commissioner).  All these experience have helped me improve upon my leadership, communication and advocacy skills essential skills for a president. Furthermore, these experiences have allowed me to engage and get to know more students. I have become more aware of the needs of students in my faculty and which areas could be improved upon in order to better students’ experience.