Peterson Slate

Melissa Peterson, left, and Antoinette Taranets, right, are running together for USC president and vice-president, respectively.

Another USC presidential slate has withdrawn from the race.

On Friday just before noon, Mel + Twon announced they were withdrawing.

"We want to wish the best of luck to the remaining candidates," they said in a statement. "We look forward to the debates and enjoying the spectacle as observers rather than as participants."

Mel + Twon consisted of current FIMS student council president Melissa Peterson for president and Antoinette Tarenets, current FIMSSC vice-president communications, for vice-president.

They are the second slate to withdraw from the race in the past 24 hours as Team MacMillan also withdrew last night.

Andrew Chorney, chief returning officer of the USC, said the elections committee respects the decision the candidates made and will miss Mel + Twon's unique perspective.

"Obviously I'd like to see a diverse group of students, and there still is a diverse group of students running in the PVP election," Chorney said."From my perspective, it's not that it's disappointing. You want to see as many slates as possible, so to go from five to three it obviously changes our plans a bit but we're still just as excited to move forward."

USC communications officer Kevin Hurren expressed his disappointment as the number of eligible slates went from five to three.

"As disappointing as withdrawals are, the initial number of slates still shows promise," Hurren said. "What this proves is that any two students — regardless of background, experience or ideas — can easily become legitimate candidates for USC leadership."

0
0
0
0
0

Katie is the Print Managing Editor for volume 110 of The Gazette. Previously, she was a news editor for volumes 109 and 108 of The Gazette and a staff writer for volume 107.