Music students' council sign (Photo)

Signage of the Faculty of Music Student's Council, Jan. 25, 2019.

Paige Fitzpatrick was fined after announcing her candidacy on Facebook the day before the allowed campaign period.

The Faculty of Music Student Council president candidate was convicted of a minor violation by the Elections Governance Committee on Thursday, resulting in a fine for one-third of her $25 bond. She made the post to the student council's internal Facebook group asking for someone to cover her office hours due to the absence her upcoming candidacy would cause.

It is the second violation of by-law 2's section 11.7, which regulates when candidates can begin formally campaigning.

"Candidates and prospective candidates are not permitted to influence or attempt to influence voters prior to the campaign period," the committee's decision reads.

Evidence of the post was submitted to the committee the day of its posting, and the screenshot filename indicates it was taken just three hours afterwards. A hearing two days later garnered a unanimous decision that Fitzpatrick committed a minor violation.

Fitzpatrick's opponent is Leah McDonald, both of whom are competing for the faculty's only council seat via its presidency.

0
3
3
1
5

Martin is the Senior News Editor at the Gazette. You can contact him at martin.allen@westerngazette.ca, or @mtrallen on Twitter.