Students can expect transit delays next week as the major bus stop at the Natural Science Centre will shut down for construction.

The project begins Jan. 13 with detours expected for five weeks. All routes that stopped there are being detoured to Alumni Hall: the 2, 10, 27, 34, 94, 102 and 106 are all affected. 

Western University is installing 44 streetlights along a 300-metre strip that includes the common destination for campus buses.

All vehicles will be diverted to Western Road, Perth Drive and Lambton Drive — including shuttles to affiliate campuses.

With London Transit Commission buses and shuttles diverted to Alumni, students could experience delays. The route changes come as students flood campus back from winter break, and as icy weather can walking to class difficult. 

LTC announced the detour Jan. 3, with Western issuing a press release today. 

David Ostrom, Western’s electrical infrastructure specialist, noted the difficulties of this project. 

“This is the most difficult stretch to do, just because of the amount of traffic there,” Ostrom said. 

Western's construction project is part of a multi-year plan to improve campus lighting to protect pedestrians and improve conditions for drivers.

The initiative falls under Western's Open Space Strategy, a long-term plan to improve campus for students. 

Building entrances along Middlesex Drive will remain open, with construction fences and directional signs for pedestrians.

The parking lots at the Social Sciences Centre and the Medical Sciences Building could be closed periodically as well.

Long-term bus detours are not new around campus. Two years ago the University Drive bridge was closed for the majority of the school year, sending buses elsewhere to enter campus. 

The detours also follow major bus routing changes from LTC this year which affected most routes that come to campus. 

Update (Jan. 7, 10:36 a.m.): the third-last paragraph has been updated to correct a typo.

3
0
0
4
60