Amit Chakma Engineering Building (Photo)

President Amit Chakma (left) shook hands with chancellor Jack Cowin.

Officially opened today, the formerly named ThreeC+ Engineering Building will be renamed the Amit Chakma Engineering Building, announced Western University on Friday afternoon.

The decision to rename the building followed a $5 million donation from Jack Cowin, the university’s chancellor, who wanted to honour Western's 10th president.

Cowin praised Chakma’s leadership and efforts to attract “the best and the brightest students from all over the world”. 

During Chakma’s term as president, Western witnessed a 12 per cent increase in first-year full-time international student enrollment. Western’s endowment also tripled from $266 million in 2009 to $765 million in 2018.

The Amit Chakma Engineering Building addresses numerous issues, notably the need for additional space for engineering students. According to Western Media Relations, Western's Faculty of Engineering has seen enrollment increase from 1,500 students in 2009 to 2,700 students today.

In a tweet Friday morning, Andrew Hrymak, Western's provost, celebrated the building as a resource hub for engineering students.

In their press release, the administration stated, “It has been built by engineers, for engineering students”

“I’m incredibly proud to support Western Engineering and honour my colleague and friend by naming this fantastic new building today,” said Cowin.

Correction (11:08 a.m., October 16): Paragraph five was updated to accurately reflect the student increase.

0
0
1
0
20