President Chakma meeting with federal parties in run-up to elections

Courtesy of Western University

Western President Amit Chakma earned $924,000 and another $43,255 in taxable benefits last year — making him the third-highest paid public sector worker in all of Ontario — after he was granted a cash payment in lieu of a year of administrative leave.

Chakma's salary was disclosed today along with 1,246 others as Western released its 2014 salary disclosure for earners over $100,000.

In a press release, chair of the board of governors, Chirag Shah, said Chakma's base salary remains frozen at $440,000 but he was given a cash payment "to ensure continuity at a critical time" instead of taking an administrative leave that was built into his first five year contract. Chakma's contract expired in June 2014 but he was awarded a second term until June 2019. His total compensation last year, including taxable benefits, was $967,244.92.

The second highest earner last year was Michael Strong, dean of the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, who earned $462,125.

Other high earners include dean of the Ivey School of Business, Robert Kennedy, who made $441,500, provost Janice Deakin, who made $343,000, vice-president external Kelly Cole, who made $296,000 and vice-president research John Capone, who made $288,850.

The full 28-page list, which includes administrators, faculty and staff at Western, can be seen here.

Correction: This article originally stated that 6,300 full-time staff at Western University were on the Sunshine List. In fact, 1,247 staff made the list and 6,300 is the total number of full-time staff at Western. The post has been corrected and updated.

0
0
0
0
0