Jen Mohammed Slate - Taylor Lasota-3.jpg

Anooshae Janmohammad is the presidential candidate for Team Jan/Mohammad. 

It's the first week of USC elections and two candidates have received demerit points from the Elections Governance Committee (EGC). 

Presidential slate candidate Jan/Mohammad received two demerit points for violating section 11.7 pre-campaigning of by-law #2 (elections procedure). The slate "liked" a Gazette article relating to their campaign prior to the start of the campaign period. The article announced the slate's candidacy and the violation was that the slate members 'liked' the post before the campaign period officially began on Jan. 16. 

In the report, a Western student notified the EGC of the incident and by a simple majority vote the EGC deemed the incident a violation. The Chief Returning Officer, Erin McCauley, had previously informed candidates they were not allowed to interact with articles of this nature during the pre-campaigning period. 

The report cites that "liking" a Facebook post may bring attention to the post on their friends timelines and give them exposure. 

A presidential candidate can be disqualified if he/she receives more than 30 demerit points and all other candidates if he/she receives more than 20 demerit points. The last time a presidential slate was removed on demerit points was in 2015 when the president-elect Jack Litchfield's slate was disqualified by the USC's appeals board. 

Additionally, a Faculty of Information and Media Studies Students' Council presidential candidate, Nathan Mathov-Olszewicki, was given four demerit points for also violating section 11.7.

Mathov-Olszewicki's violation was an Instagram caption that promoted his presidency prior to the start of the campaign period.

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Content

Rita was the managing editor of content for Volume 111. She was previously a news editor for two years and graduated with an honours specialization in political science.