Rain doesn’t dampen O-Week charity events

First-year students won't be going around door-to-door for fundraising on Shine day this year.

For years sophs and first-year students have spent a day of O-Week raising funds for Shinerama — a campaign launched by Cystic Fibrosis Canada in 1964.

Students would be seen going door-to-door in London collecting funds for the charity, but that changes this year. 

"We've completely removed the door-to-door soliciting from the program this year, so half of the students will be at the store fronts, at the Loblaws and the Costcos. But no door-to-door neighbourhoods," said Allie Adamo, student programs officer at the University Students' Council. 

Adamo, who also sits on the orientation strategic planning committee and is the co-chair of the orientation planning committee, said that door-to-door soliciting may have made some students uncomfortable and some may not have fully comprehended what they were raising funds for. 

Without door-to-door soliciting, Adamo predicted a decrease in funds raised for Shinerama this year, but said Western will still contribute.

Western has participated in Shinerama since 1968 and raised over $3 million, but this year the focus will be split between the charity and contributing to the city of London.

While a portion of students will be going to storefronts, selling lemonade and running car washes to raise funds for Shinerama, the other half of students will be giving back to the city by planting trees and cleaning parks.

These students will be planting approximately one thousand trees with Reforest London and will help clean London's parks, which will potentially increase student engagement with the community. 

"We thought that the best way to actually show the city and show our students how important it is to be involved with the community outside of the 'Western bubble' buzzword, is not giving our money, but giving our time," Adamo said.

"And if you really think about what Shinerama day is suppose to do it's supposed to create that community feeling that a Western student doesn't just belong on campus, they belong within the city." 

Adamo added that while there have been no talks to cut Shinerama altogether, it would be up to the relevant committees to discuss any future changes.

Shine day takes place Saturday Sept. 10, the last day of O-Week 2016. 

1
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Content

Rita was the managing editor of content for Volume 111. She was previously a news editor for two years and graduated with an honours specialization in political science.