Team Tobi Wins

Tobi Solebo is elected as University Students' Council president, February 2, 2017.

In a heated election, students have elected Team Tobi as the next president/vice-president of the University Students’ Council.

Team Tobi’s presidential candidate Tobi Solebo and vice-presidential candidate Landon Tulk won with 4,261 votes, beating second-place slate Team DiBrina, who finished with 3,265 votes and third place slate, Team Jan/Mohammad who received 1,118 votes.

Decked in red, the winning slate’s campaign team and friends were ecstatic upon hearing the news as the room erupted in a cheer. 

"Tobi! Tobi! Tobi!" Could be heard chanted throughout The Spoke as they celebrated their victory.

“People believed in what we had to say,” Solebo said. “We promoted something that the public got excited and optimistic about, and I think that’s the most exciting part of it.”

Landon Tulk, Solebo's running mate, also expressed his happiness and gratitude for the win.

“We’re overwhelmed,” Tulk said. “This is incredible. We knew we were underdogs going into this and we kept pushing, and it may have been that mentality that pushed us over the top.”

The other slates congratulated Team Tobi on their win and wished them luck in the future. 

"Tobi and Landon are two extremely deserving candidates," said Mohammad Hussain of Team Jan/Mohammad. "I think it’s great that we had three different slates to bring something to the table so that more students could get what they wanted.”  

Harry Orbach Miller of Team DiBrina also had positive sentiments about Team Tobi's victory. 

“We wish [Team Tobi] the best of luck," said Orbach Miller. "They ran a great campaign. And hopefully, it all works out well for them."

As a personal friend of Team Tobi's, Anooshae Janmohammad congratulated the duo and reflected upon her own experience throughout the campaign.

“Honestly it was an incredible experience. I’m so glad that I went out and did it," said Janmohammad. "I learned a lot and I’m probably never going to get this experience again."

Voter turnout was up from last year at a 27.9 per cent turnout rate. Of 32,796 eligible students, 9,165 voted — a 3.8 per cent increase from last year. 

With files from Sabrina Fracassi, Connor Malbeuf, Connor Clark, Grace To and Drishti Kataria.

Check out our video of the winning candidates online.

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Content

Rita was the managing editor of content for Volume 111. She was previously a news editor for two years and graduated with an honours specialization in political science.

Editor-in-Chief

Amy is editor-in-chief of the Gazette and a Faculty of Information and Media Studies graduate. She started working at the Gazette in February 2014. Want to give her a story tip or feedback? Email editor@westerngazette.ca