London Property Corp. (Photo)

A London Property Corp. banner hangs off the corner of their Red Brick apartment building on Sarnia Road, May 10, 2018.

London Property Corp. erroneously sent emails requesting cleaning fees with tenant room charges as high as $168.

Members of the Western University Class of 2018 Social Group discussed the emails, sent May 8, in a thread garnering 65 interactions and over 100 comments.

LPC, a housing rental agency, owns buildings housing over 6,500 students throughout Canada.

Western graduates Shirley Haji and Cameron Koomans said that the emails came from LPC property manager Stephen Nelles; members of the Facebook group said the same.

For the whole apartment, Haji and her roommates received a cleaning fee of $112, or $28 per roommate. Koomans' apartment cleaning fee was $168, also at $28 per roommate.

"[Our] main concern was, 'Why are we being charged after thoroughly cleaning the place?' " Haji said. "I think that's why everyone was more pissed off. We don't get it."

On Wednesday, May 9, Haji received another email from Nelles describing her cleaning fees as a consequence of a Microsoft Excel formatting error. Others in the Facebook group shared screenshots of similar emails. As of this article's publishing, Koomans did not receive a correction email.

Nelles didn't respond to requests for comments.

Sam Maclin, property manager at LPC, described the emails as an "unfortunate error" where "many tenants received an email that should have only been sent to a select few." Maclin said that a retraction email was immediately sent upon realizing their error.

Maclin didn't specify if he was speaking on behalf of Nelles, nor how the error occurred within their operation's usage of Excel.

Concerning students who already sent their money, Maclin assured, "Any tenants that paid us due to this mistake have been refunded or will be by the end of [May 10]."

Koomans' roommate was one of those people who paid the bill.

"I could see how a lot of students could do that," he said, "Like, it's 28 bucks. Whatever."

2
2
2
0
6