Team MacMillan

Robert MacMillan, left, and Robert Armstrong, right (we assume), are running for USC president and vice-president. They declined to take a photo on Friday and provided this photo instead.

The USC presidential race now has a third slate in the running. Robert MacMillan and Robert Armstrong are both history students who met in class in September.

MacMillan, who is running for USC president, explained his platform will centre around improving the student experience.

"I think that we have the joint thoughts and the joint drive in order to make Western a more fun place to be," MacMillan said. "We really want to enhance the student experience by introducing some things that may seem a bit off, but I think that in the long run it will actually help to benefit the student experience."

Team MacMillan's vice-presidential hopeful, Robert Armstrong, identified reducing stress during exam times as a focus for the team.

"We just want to bring a smile to Western," Armstrong said.

A secondary focus for Team MacMillan will also be freedom of speech and students' individual expression. 

Both Roberts are a departure from the typical USC presidential hopeful as neither candidate has experience on student councils at Western, however neither MacMillan or Armstrong feel disconnected from the student body for it.

"Being a Western student, you interact with a whole bunch of different people from different backgrounds," Armstrong said. "I've been part of different clubs and I've talked to a lot of different people about their different perspectives on Western, things that they like and they don't like. Just my experience from talking to the students, Robert [MacMillan] asked me to be his vice-president and I thought it would be an interesting way to try and bring some issues that aren't really touched upon."

MacMillan and Armstrong met this year in a history class, where they bonded over their shared first name. It was also in class that MacMillan decided to put his name forward for USC president after investigating what the submission process involved.

"I was sitting in class and just before class started, I was looking at the elections website and seeing how difficult it would be to actually put in a nomination, and it didn't seem to be that difficult," he recounted. "The system is structured so that you need to get 50 [signatures], you have to put down a bond — beside that that's it. I just need to be willing to run. And then I contacted Robert here and he agreed to run with me."

MacMillan hopes their platform will shake up the race.

"Our platform is really going to be about fun, maybe turning things upside down a bit, kind of putting a speed bump in the way of the campaign but in a fun, constructive way," MacMillan said.

0
0
0
0
0

Katie is the Print Managing Editor for volume 110 of The Gazette. Previously, she was a news editor for volumes 109 and 108 of The Gazette and a staff writer for volume 107.