Western's University Students' Council is among a dozen other Canadian student governments to receive unsolicited Amazon packages containing strange items.

Student unions and councils around the country have received sex toys, record players and headphones, among other random products. Since fall, some groups have received up to 35 packages.

The USC received a collection of around five packages before the winter break, said Jana Cernavskis, USC communications officer; they refused the deliveries, so their contents are unknown.

All of the packages were delivered through Amazon. The deliveries across the country spurred Amazon to release a statement, stating the source didn't get the student union names or shipping addresses from the online retailer.

"This behaviour violates our policies. We remove sellers in violation of our policies … and work with law enforcement to take appropriate action," the statement says.

The RCMP became involved after the vice-president of Lakehead University's student union contacted them in November. Lakehead has received 16 packages since the fall.

An RCMP constable concluded the packages were sent from Chinese distributors. He told CBC that Amazon said it was a sales tactic.

Other student union executives have complained that Amazon has not been communicative about their own investigations and that they only heard from the police after contacting them personally.

Some student unions have received more packages as recently as late January, but the USC has seen nothing since the original delivery.