USC Ballots, Nov. 28 (Photo)

Councillors voting during the USC's November meeting, Nov. 28, 2018.

On Wednesday, the University Students' Council announced its support of residence staff members in their intention to unionize.

A press release from the USC outlined that the motion passed after extensive debate resulting in the approval of an amended motion.

A residence don at Delaware Hall, Tristen Baker-Scala, spoke to the council about their reasons behind the vote to unionize.

“We do this job to support the thousands of students who live in residence buildings as a critical component of Western’s ‘best student experience,’ but we face significant challenges and pressures in our workplace that ultimately limits our ability to provide the best support possible to students in need,” said Baker-Scala.

The issues presented include struggles to balance work and school, cost of living, compensation, performance appeals and a lack of mental health support.

Council also received a clubs system presentation from Student Programs Officer Carina Gabriele, who discussed transferring the clubs system to the secretary-treasurer portfolio.

Gabriele indicated that this change would increase coordination and accountability amongst clubs — however, no motion was set forward.

A presentation regarding Western University's Operating & Endowment Fund Investments discussed engagement and responsible investing technique under the United Nations framework for investing.

After, six Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance general assembly delegates were elected to represent Western. Also, six members of the council were elected to hiring panels for USC executive members.

0
0
0
0
0