shape north america

Western alumni and students will be making an appearance at SHAPE North America, a collaborative summit which invites youth leaders from around the continent to come together and tackle community-based projects.

The summit is run through Global Shapers, an initiative led by the World Economic Forum. A group of 436 youth leaders will come together to work on projects focused on creating a sustainable future. This year's summit takes place in Ottawa and Toronto in July 2017.

Arjun Gupta, a former Western student who spent two years studying physics and economics at the University, is currently the co-chair for SHAPE.

“Our hope is for the SHAPE summit to be widely successful and inclusive with financial aid options available to delegates, and portions of the summit live-streamed for the world to see,” Gupta said.

Over 200 global shapers and other members of the World Economic Forum’s impact communities will explore solutions to major challenges facing North America.

The delegates will participate in different sessions, workshops and peer-led exercises to gain a deeper understanding of problems facing the region and envision new solutions.

Jaxson Khan, marketing and communications team co-lead for SHAPE, received his bachelor's degree in global development studies at Huron University College.

“There are 436 hubs, but also over 400 projects and those have been impacting upwards of 20 million people worldwide,” said Khan. “One of the cool things that has happened to this community is that last year global shapers were invited to the Vatican to actually help in a consultation. The goal of that was to invite the views of young leaders to Pope Francis’ upcoming initiatives.”

Andrew Shon, current Huron global development student, is participating as the chief of staff to the co-chair for the event. 

“Western alumni are some of Canada’s most influential leaders in the private, public and nonprofit sectors, who understand the needs to strengthen the communities in which they operate," Shon said. 

Those interested in attending the conference can pre-register here. 

0
0
0
0
0