Western winter campus UC hill

Western has closed today due to weather, Feb. 6, 2019.

After pleas from students, Western announced that campus is closing as of 12:30 p.m.

This was announced via Twitter at 11:45 a.m. and students began receiving email updates around noon.

According to Western University's weather update, London is experiencing freezing rain causing hazardous travel conditions.  

All of campus will be closed for the rest of the day, with services resuming tomorrow. This includes food services, libraries, affiliate campuses, the Rec Centre, labs, tutorials and midterms.

A press release from Western News stated that “while services were in place for the morning commute, weather conditions are not improving. The university is not able to maintain walkways to a suitable level due to the persistence of the freezing rain.”

This closure comes after outrage on Twitter from students concerned for their safety.

Among other schools closed are: the University of Waterloo, Wilfred Laurier University, McMaster University, Ryerson University, University of Toronto’s Mississauga campus, Conestoga College, Fanshawe College’s Simcoe campus and London’s Thames Valley District School Board.

7
0
0
0
2

Liam is a News Editor at the Gazette. You can contact him at liam.afonso@westerngazette.ca, or @liamafonso on Twitter.