Samuel Baker

Samuel Baker, an Essex Hall resident, passed away on Wednesday, Oct. 24.

He is the son of Ellie Morch and Jason Baker, the brother of Will and Naomi, and grandson of John and Sandy Morch, and Nancy and the late Gerald Baker.

He lived on the building's 1 North floor. Richard Caccamo, Western University's coordinator of orientation initiatives, informed sophs of the news in an email on Thursday afternoon.

"Some of your students may be impacted by the news of Samuel's passing. They may be his classmates, floormates, or high school friends," he said. "Some may have never met Samuel, but will struggle with the sudden loss of a peer. Please take care of yourselves, take care of each other, and look out for your students."

Essex held grief counselling on 1 North that evening, shortly after the announcement. Caccamo said more support would be available through this week and the weekend.

Samuel's family invited his friends to celebrate his life with singing and a game of rugby on Saturday at 3 p.m. at North Toronto Collegiate Institute. A memorial service will be held the following day at 12:30 p.m. at Benjamin's Park Memorial Chapel in Toronto.

Donation information can be found on the memorial's website.

"Sam was a shining star who burned so brightly in our lives. He left us far too soon. We will honour his life through our own," it reads.

The flag atop University College will be lowered on Sunday in his honour.

Samuel is the second Western student to pass away this school year.

Support is available to students through individual counsellingcrisis contact serviceswellness resources and external resources from CMHA Middlesex.