Higher education (Photo)

Western placed eighth in Canada and 190th globally on the Times Higher Education’s annual ranking in their best showing since 2012.

Nine Canadian universities ranked among the top 200 in the World University Rankings 2019, published annually by Times Higher Education. Western University ranked eighth in Canada and 190th in the world. Last year, Western ranked between 201st and 250th globally and 10th nationally.

The top three Canadian universities are the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia and McGill University, respectively. 

“It’s not just important for students who see the rankings; it’s important for us to establish relationships with other universities that want to partner up on programs and so on,” said Keith Marnoch, Western's director of media and community relations.

Times Higher Education is a data provider that evaluates research-intensive universities across the world, using slightly different criteria every year.

“All ranking systems are not created equal and evaluate universities with different indicators,” said Marnoch. “Future students have to understand their own priorities first before they look into the rankings in detail and see what insights can be gained.”

This year, Times Higher Education ranked 1,258 universities from 86 countries based on five categories: teaching, research, citations, international outlook and industry income.

As a university with aspirations to grow its international reputation, this ranking serves to grow Western's foothold in global education. 

Western’s best scores were teaching, citations and international outlook, with its lowest score in the research category.

The university's business and economics subjects were ranked 84th globally. The second highest ranked subject was clinical, pre-clinical and health, which placed between 101st and 125th globally.

“Most of the factors that are measured in all these major international surveys are long-term strategies or initiatives,” said Marnoch. “We are improving. We are doing better. We are growing, but so are the other universities. And the rankings turn out to be who is progressing the fastest.”

Times Higher Education describes Western as “one of Canada’s leading research-intensive universities” with "a history of excellence in fundamental and applied discovery.”

2
0
3
2
0