GENERIC WESTERN (1 of 2)

Western ranks among the top 200 universities in the QS World University Rankings for the 2016-17 year.

Western came in at number 198, dropping two spots from the 2015-16 year. The ranking has remained relatively stable the past three years, but back in the 2011-12 ranking, Western was up at number 157. 

“It’s a significant achievement, I think, to be in the top 200,” said Keith Marnoch, director of media and community relations at Western. “We always want to be looking for ways that we can do better, climb the rankings; we have to keep in mind that everybody else on that list is doing the same thing.”

Nine other Canadian universities made the list, including McGill University which was the highest ranking Canadian university at number 30.

The ranking criteria consists of five areas: academic reputation, employer reputation, citations per faculty, international faculty and international students. Over 3,800 universities are assessed in total, with over 900 receiving rankings. This means Western scored in the top five per cent of the universities that were assessed. 

Western received high scores in the international faculty (a score of 99.2 out of a possible 100) and citations per faculty (a score of 73.5) categories. The lowest scores were in the academic reputation (a score of 39.9) and international students (56.1) categories — although Western has been pushing to increase the number of international students in recent years. 

Western’s highest ranked subject was nursing which came in at number 28, and the highest ranked faculty was social sciences.

Marnoch states that the QS World University Rankings is one of the most significant ranking lists, so it is important Western consistently rates well.

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Content

Rita was the managing editor of content for Volume 111. She was previously a news editor for two years and graduated with an honours specialization in political science.