With the USC elections coming up, one buzzing topic is FOCO and Purple Fest.

Everyone is asking candidates what their plan is for these events, and the responses are largely the same: have a performer that better represents the views of students to provide better alternatives to parties on Broughdale Avenue. 

This disappoints me because it feels like another political move, and pretty disingenuous, because the Purple Fest performer is not the issue most students are concerned with when it comes to FOCO. Students want to know what the University Students’ Council is going to do to help them have the FOCO they want, which is on Broughdale. 

In reality, FOCO is a creation of the administration, and the USC uses Purple Fest as an avenue to sell merchandise and promote themselves instead of addressing the real issue. 

This whole situation started because the administration was trying to stop students from partying and help keep them safe. They moved Homecoming so that more people would have midterms and less people would party. 

Well they achieved their goal of having no street party on Homecoming. The issue is that there’s no parties at all on Homecoming. 

Homecoming is supposed to be a time for alumni to come back to campus and celebrate school spirit with current students. This is pretty hard to do when no students show up to Homecoming events because they all have midterms scheduled during the football game. 

Now the administration has alienated a whole generation of students who have never had a real Homecoming, and will never see the value in returning for such events. This is a major problem when alumni donations are a crucial source of funding for the university, and a lot of solicitation for donations occurs during Homecoming.

Let’s be real, if you don’t want to party on FOCO, nobody is going to drag you out of your house. Those who party on Broughdale Avenue want to be there, not because they are trying to rebel, but because they are standing up for what they believe in.

One heavily discussed topic of the USC this year has been student engagement. FOCO is a perfect example of how students are engaged and showing that they care about something, and the USC is completely ignoring it. Their public stance is that FOCO is an unsanctioned event, but they are supposed to represent the views of the student population. 

When over half of your student body is engaged in an “unsanctioned event”, wouldn’t you think it’s an event that the USC should fight for?

— Daphne Kaketsis, fourth-year, mechanical engineering

19
6
0
1
0

We want to hear from you! Letters to the editor are articles from members of the community, usually 250-500 words long. They cover issues affecting Western students. All submissions are welcome: opinions@westerngazette.ca.