Letter Writer

Re: Frosh Slosh, published in the Gazette's Aug. 29 Frosh Issue.

Dear first years,

You are about to start one of the most exciting times in your life; each day will bring new experiences. Being on campus you will find that there are many opportunities to have fun. We just want to take a moment to tell you that university is about so much more than drinking.

In first year, there is going to be pressure to party and pressure to succeed academically. The expectation that university is centred around drinking is a misrepresentation of what your experience at Western can be. You are more than a stereotype. As the class of 2021, you are diverse individuals with diverse interests, and we encourage you to seek out the university experience that you want rather than what is expected.

We feel a dry O-Week is important because it’s the first time you are on campus as a Western student and there is a lot to learn. Each program is designed to give you an understanding about campus culture as well as encourage you to develop healthy and responsible habits, especially surrounding alcohol consumption. A dry O-Week gives you the chance to explore what your experience here at Western will be in a safe and inclusive environment.

Remember to have fun, be responsible and respectful. It’s going to be a wild ride, make the most of it.

—University Students' Council's student executive

6
5
1
1
7