mustangs-rams

The Western Mustangs women's hockey team won big on the road on Saturday afternoon with a 4–0 victory over the Ryerson Rams at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

April Clark, Evra Levesque and Jessie Sanghe scored goals for the Mustangs that afternoon. Clark, who has scored 10 goals on the season and leads Ontario University Athletics in scoring by two points, has been the difference maker for Western for much of the season.

With five penalties called in the first period, special teams were pivotal, and four-on-four play dominated much of the opening frame as both teams struggled with discipline early on.

Clark scored the first goal of the game on the power play. The goal, coming six minutes into the first period, came after she grabbed a rebound and beat Rams goaltender Fanny Vigeant to put the Mustangs up 1–0.

Ryerson's Camryn Tait put on a heroic shorthanded effort as she killed off a roughing penalty by holding off three Western defenders to keep the game within striking distance for the Rams. Shortly after the killed penalty, Ryerson captain Kryshanda Green put a shot on Western's goal. However, Lasis saved the backhanded shot, keeping her shutout alive.

Clark netted her second goal of the afternoon and tenth of the year as the Mustangs rushed in on the Ryerson goal. Levesque dished a cross-ice pass over to Clark, who potted a low shot past a sliding Vigeant into the open far side, putting the Mustangs up 2–0. 

Western's stellar first line came up big again later in the game, as Clark and Levesque pressured Ryerson enough to force a rebound, which Levesque knocked in to put the Mustangs up 3–0.

While the Rams did have five power play opportunities in the third period, including a stretch of almost three minutes at the beginning of the frame which gave them myriad opportunity to chip away at the Mustangs lead, they could simply not capitalize.

Clark nearly scored a hat trick early in the third period, as she broke out of the Western end on a shorthanded attempt. However, she was unable to put away the shorthanded goal.

One minute later, Sanghe stole the puck and rushed down the ice again on the penalty kill. She avoided a Ryerson defender and put the puck past Vigeant, essentially putting the game out of reach.

The game saw Ryerson and Western exchange back-and-forth chances late as the Rams attempted to overcome insurmountable odds and come back in the game. However, neither team was able to secure legitimate offensive opportunities. The Rams outshot Western 39–22, but Lasis put up another impressive outing for her second shutout of the season. 

With the victory, Western's record improves  to 7–2–0–2 on the year, overtaking Ryerson in the standings and now sitting in second place in Ontario University Athletics. The Rams, who were on a five game winning streak prior to Saturday's loss, now sit in third place in the conference at 6–3–2–0.  Saturday's loss also marked their 11th straight loss to the Mustangs.

0
0
0
0
0