Men's hockey, Oct. 27

The men's and women's Mustangs hockey teams hosted a Hockey Fights Cancer day this past Saturday at Thompson Arena.

Before games against Ontario Tech University and Brock University, Western University recognized all those impacted by the disease with an online donation link to the Canadian Cancer Society and a memorial wall filled with placards on which players or fans could recognize who they were fighting for.

On Friday night, head coach of the women’s hockey team, Candice Moxley, shed light on some of the plans for the upcoming day. 

“We'll have a special puck drop where we have families of someone who lost someone to cancer, families who have been battling the horrible, horrible sickness,” explained Moxley.

But before the puck drop on Saturday, both the men’s and women’s teams posted pictures online holding their own cards indicating who they were fighting for with some recognizing friends, family members or simply “a cure.”

During the game, some players — including captain April Clark — opted to wrap their stick blades with commemorative purple tape.

Before Saturday’s game, forward Sydnee Baker highlighted the importance of the entire event.

“Yeah, it means a lot,” said Baker. “Everyone, everyone has a story with that disease, so it means a lot.”

Tareya Webster added that it will be a special moment for a few members of the team.

“Oh, it's very important,” Webster added on Friday night. “It's specifically for one girl that was really good friends with two of the girls on the team: Baker and [Renae] Nevills. So, we're really going to show up for them tomorrow.”

The online donation page has currently raised $1,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society, $1,500 off of the listed goal of $2,500. Donations can still be made through the team’s donation site.

0
0
0
0
0