On November 29, Mustangs’ wrestler Riley Otto traveled to the Henri Deglane International in Nice, France. He was joined by teammate Steven Takahashi who, unfortunately, lost his opening match against Chakir Ansari from France. Otto, however, placed fifth in the 84 kg division.

Otto defeated French wrestler Akhmed Aibuev 5–1, but lost 0–7 to Latvia’s Armands Zvirbulis and 1–5 to American Brook Climmons. His participation in the 84 kg division in the Henri Deglane International was an excellent test of this star athlete’s capabilities, because he is between the 96 and 84 kg divisions.

This is not the Nova Scotia native’s first success on an international stage this year. After transferring to Western from Concordia University this year, Otto traveled with his fellow Mustangs to represent Canada at the Francophone Games in Nice, France on September 12. He was awarded a silver medal in the 96 kg division after a series of wins, followed by a defeat by the eventual gold-medal winner — Viktor Kazishvili of Armenia.

On November 23, Otto also raked in a gold medal at the Ontario Senior Open after taking down the University of Guelph’s Tyson Frost in the 96 kg division.

With several competitions approaching in the new year, Western can expect great things from Otto who has proved his wrestling skills in both the provincial and international stages.

Caitline Martin Newnham