While the Vanier Cup was the most notable event of the weekend, a number of other Mustangs teams were in action as well, including the cheerleading teams who were, once again, crowned national champions.

Basketball (men's)

After dropping two in a row, the men's basketball team bounced back this past weekend with a pair of wins. The team travelled to Toronto on Friday and beat the York Lions 70–63. The following day the Mustangs were in Kingston for a game against the Queen's Gaels. An 18-point performance from Marko Kovac helped propel the Mustangs to a narrow 71–75 win. The Mustangs are now 5–4 this season and will play their final two games leading up to the winter break here at home. 

Basketball (women's)

The women's basketball team split their road games this weekend. The Mustangs won 73–67 over York on Friday thanks to a dominant 29-point game by Mackenzie Puklicz. The win snapped a three-game loosing streak but the momentum didn't carry the team very far as they dropped Saturday's game against Queen's 68–71. Now 4–5 on the season, the Mustangs will play their final two games before the winter break here at home.

Cheerleading

The women's and co-ed cheerleading teams were in Brampton over the weekend for the Power Cheerleading Athletics national championships. Both were crowned national champions. For the co-ed team, this is the 32nd (and 10th consecutive) national title in the program's history.

Football

The Mustangs defeated the Laval Rouge et Or 39–17 in the 53rd Vanier Cup on Saturday en route to becoming national champions. The game pitted the U Sports top defensive team (Laval) against the top offensive team (Western). Ultimately, Western's offence proved too much to contain as they accumulated 578 yards of total offence on 73 plays and limited Laval to just 277 yards on 57 plays. The national title is the Mustangs' first since 1994.

Hockey (men's)

The men's hockey team was in Kingston this weekend to take on the Royal Military College of Canada and Queen's. The Mustangs suffered a tough 4–5 overtime loss to RMC but managed to bounce back on Saturday night against Queen's and come out with a 4–1 win. Queen's outshot the Mustangs 40–25, but the solid performance by netminder Brendan McGlynn and the hat trick by Trevor Warnaar helped clinch it for the Mustangs. The Mustangs play twice more at home this weekend before the season pauses for the winter break.

Hockey (women's)

The women's hockey team split their games this weekend. The team won 2–1 on Friday night against the Windsor Lancers but fell short on Saturday, losing 2–5 to the Guelph Gryphons. The team will travel to St. Catharines on Saturday to take on the Brock Badgers in their final game before the hiatus for the winter break.

Water polo

Carleton University hosted the water polo OUA championships this past weekend, and of the six universities in attendance, Western placed fourth. The Mustangs, who entered the tournament with the fifth seed, opened the weekend with a 15–12 quarter-final victory over the McMaster Marauders. The Mustangs were unable to win their next game, losing their semifinal matchup against the top-seeded Toronto Varsity Blues by a score of 2–17. In the bronze medal game, the Mustangs fell to Queen's, losing 3–8. Western's Victor Brancus was named an OUA all-star.

Volleyball (women's)

The women's volleyball team dominated this past weekend, winning both their home games. On Friday, the visiting Gaels — who entered the weekend second in the East Division with a 5–1 record — were no match for the Mustangs as they lost in three consecutive sets (25–9, 25–18, 25–20). On Saturday the RMC Paladins were visiting, and they also posed little threat to the Mustangs, losing in three consecutive sets as well (25–20, 25–11, 25–13). The team will ride a three-game win-streak into the winter break and hope to pick up where they left off when they return in the new year.

Volleyball (men's)

The men's volleyball team won both their home games this past weekend. On Saturday the Mustangs defeated Queen's in a hard-fought, five-set battle. After winning the first set, the Mustangs dropped the next two, putting them on the brink. But the Mustangs rallied, winning the fourth and fifth sets to clinch the game (25–19, 18–25, 22–25, 25–21, 15–13). On Saturday the Mustangs needed only three sets to defeat RMC (25–16, 25–23, 25–22). The team will be back in the new year, riding a three-game winning streak.

Not included: fencing, figure skating, swimming, ringette and wrestling.

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Design

Jordan is the Managing Editor of Design for Volume 111. He was a graphics editor for Volumes 109-110 and is a recent graduate of Western's now defunct MTP program.