Sissi Chen / GAZETTE

It's a busy time of year for the Mustangs. Basketball, hockey and volleyball are in the early stages of their seasons, while cross country, rowing, men's lacrosse and women's soccer are nearing the end of their respective seasons. This weekend also saw the athletic year come to a close for the Mustangs field hockey, men's rugby and men's soccer teams.

Basketball (women's)

The women's basketball team won their first game of the season this weekend, defeating the Waterloo Warriors 48–43. After missing the entirety of last season due to injury, guard Maddy Horst led the way for the Western Mustangs with 14 points. Next up for the team is their home opener against the Toronto Varsity Blues on Friday.

Basketball (men's)

Following a disappointing loss to open the season on Oct. 25, the Mustangs came out strong this weekend, beating the Waterloo Warriors 69–62. The next game for the men's basketball team will be on home court on Friday when they take on the Varsity Blues.

Cross country (men's)

At the Ontario University Athletics cross country championships in Windsor this weekend, the men's team posted a number of strong results, claiming fourth place overall. They will now turn their attention to the U Sports national championship in Victoria B.C. on Nov. 12.

Cross country (women's)

At the OUA cross country championships, the women's team finished sixth overall. Among the top finishers was Western's Kristina Popadich who finished the race in second place with a time of 27:23, three seconds behind the first place finisher. The next stop is the U Sports cross country national championship in Victoria B.C. on Nov. 12.

Field hockey

The Mustangs field hockey team was in Toronto this weekend for the OUA playoffs. The team dropped their first game on Friday, a quarter-final matchup against the Queen's Gaels, 0–2. While no longer eligible for a medal, the Mustangs played two more games and won them both. The 2–0 win over the McMaster Marauders and the 1–0 win over Waterloo was enough for fifth place overall.

Hockey (women's)

The women's hockey team had a successful home-opening weekend, coming out with a shootout loss and a win, earning four of a possible six points. On Friday against the Brock Badgers, 65-minutes was not enough to decide a victor and the Mustangs eventually lost 1–2 in a shootout. Saturday was a better night for the team as they defeated the Ryerson Rams 3–1.

Second-year Shana Alexander, followed closely by third-year Shailyn Waites and a Brock University player, breaks toward the offensive zone, Oct. 30, 2017. Michael Conley / GAZETTE

Hockey (men's)

The men's hockey team lost their sole game of the weekend 2–5 against Brock University. Five games into their 28-game season, the team sits last in the West with 2 points and a 1–4–0 record.

Lacrosse (men's)

The Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association playoffs began this weekend and the Mustangs came out strong, posting a 14–5 win over the Laurentian Voyageurs in round one. Next up is a semifinal date with Queen's on Friday in Kingston.

Rowing

It was a successful weekend for the Mustangs rowing teams as they competed for provincial titles. The women's team won first place, capturing their fifth consecutive provincial title with a dominating 622 points. The men's team also posted impressive results at the regatta, taking home second place and finishing with 427 points.

Rugby (men's)

The Mustangs men's rugby team has been eliminated from OUA competition following a 12–36 loss to the Laurier Golden Hawks in the quarter-finals.

Soccer (women's)

The Mustangs women's soccer team won their first playoff game of the season on Sunday, eliminating Waterloo with a 4–0 win. Giulia Geraci, who finished the regular season tied for second in goals scored (11), helped propel the Mustangs to victory on Sunday with a pair of goals. With the win, the Mustangs advance to the OUA semifinals.

Mustangs striker Vanessa Guglietti battles for possession during their quarter-final game against the Waterloo Warriors on Oct. 29. Liam McInnis / GAZETTE

Soccer (men's)

Following a 2–1 quarter-final loss to the York Lions, the men's soccer team's 2017 season has come to an end.

Volleyball (women's)

The OUA volleyball season began this weekend and the women's team started it off strong with a pair of wins. They won 3–0 on Friday against the Guelph Gryphons followed by a 3–1 win on Saturday against Waterloo.

Volleyball (men's)

The men's volleyball team opened their season on the road this weekend, winning one and losing one. The team lost 0–3 against Guelph, but rebounded on Saturday with a 3–1 win over Waterloo.