Mustangs tennis logo

On Saturday, the Western tennis courts were visited by several familiar faces. The current Western Mustangs tennis team came face-to-face with several alumni for the program's second annual alumni tournament.

The event brought about 30 alumni back to their old stomping grounds — some from teams as far back as 1990.

The event was founded last year by Peter Akew, who went on to organize it again, this time with team member Alden Eakins by his side. The event was started in an effort to highlight the success of the team under the direction of coach Anthony Glavanic.

“Our coach has been coaching here for about 30 years and we’ve won 13 [Ontario University Athletics] titles with him,” said Eakins. “We just really wanted to highlight the successful career he’s had, and have all the alumni come back into town.”

Akew and Eakins reached out to various alumni who have played on the team over the last 30 years. The response was phenomenal, helping them get a great turnout.

The day consisted of four hours of doubles pitting alumni against members of the current Mustangs team. After the matches were completed, the current team fell to the alumni, further proving how deserving of 13 OUA championships Western tennis really has been. 

“It was really great,” said Eakins. “I think for a lot of the first-year kids that are both in first year of university and first year on the team, it was great for them to meet other players so they could see that there’s a really good culture on the team.”

The day brought together several generations of Mustangs tennis players, giving them the opportunity to connect with and learn from one another. The event was a great way to honour the success of coach Glavanic but also to bring together players to harvest the high spirits and great culture that marks Western tennis.

With the success and enjoyment brought from the previous two years, the team hopes to continue to host the event for many more years to come.

1
0
0
0
0