Mustangs football preview (Photo)

Mustangs football takes on the McMaster Marauders at TD Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017.

The Western Mustangs can’t be stopped. The Mustangs defeated the Waterloo Warriors by a score of 67-7 on Saturday afternoon at Warrior Field in Waterloo.

Western set the tone early as Mike Sananes returned the opening kick-off about 75 yards, setting the offence up at their opponent’s 25-yard line. 

Despite a couple of good plays, the Mustangs were kept out of the end zone, settling for a field goal attempt. Marc Liegghio split the uprights, putting Western up 3-0.

Starting their opening drive in a deficit, the Warriors offence couldn’t match the strength of the Western defence. The Mustangs forced consecutive 2-and-outs on the Warriors first two drives. 

Western made up for their missed opportunity on the opening drive with two consecutive touchdowns on their second and third drives of the game.

Chris Merchant found Brett Ellerman for a touchdown with nine minutes left in the first quarter to extend the lead to 10-0. Cedric Joseph tacked on his sixth major of the year, furthering the Mustangs lead to 17-0 with just under eight minutes to play in the first quarter.   

The Warriors found their stride on their third drive of the game. The record setting offence marched down the field, ripping off big chunks of yards against the Western D. Waterloo finished with a 26-yard touchdown strike from Tre Ford to Tyler Ternowski. With five minutes to play in the first quarter, the Warriors trailed Western by a score of 17-7.

Merchant answered Waterloo’s touchdown on the next drive with a passing score of his own. The third year quarterback found Cole Majoros with three minutes to play in the first quarter, matching the Warriors and extending the Mustangs lead to 24-7.

Despite showing potential on their third drive, the Warriors couldn’t produce offensively for the rest of the half. Ternowski was a non-factor and Ford struggled to pass from the pocket. Despite scattering in some good plays, Waterloo’s offence was locked down.

Merchant added two more touchdowns in the first half, alternating between Majoros and Ellerman.  

On the defensive side of the ball, fourth year linebacker Fraser Sopik brought Ford down a few times, Andrew Thurston picked up his fourth sack of the season and Michael Moore hauled in his first interception.

After allowing 20 points in the first half against the Carleton Raves, Western’s defense has allowed 19 points in 15 quarters of play. 

Waterloo conceded two safeties and Liegghio connected for his second field goal of the game to round out the first half. Through thirty minutes of play, the Mustangs led the Warriors by a score of 45-7.

The Mustangs continued to impose their will in the second half. Despite a couple big chances, Ford and Ternowski still couldn’t establish rhythm.

Merchant added on his fifth and sixth touchdowns of the game in the third quarter. In total, the quarterback found Majoros and Ellerman for three touchdowns apiece.

While the touchdown didn’t really change the game result, Ellerman’s third touchdown catch was a beauty. The third year receiver jumped and spun to haul in the pass, putting Western up over Waterloo by a score of 59-7.

The game was finished off with a rushing touchdown from back-up quarterback Kevin John and a rouge off the leg of Lieghhio.

The Mustangs will travel to Kingston to play the Queen’s Gaels at Richardson Stadium next Saturday at 1:00 p.m.  

1
1
1
0
0