Women’s hockey dropped an 8–1 decision against the Windsor Lancers at home this Sunday. The team closed out the first half of their season at .500, and are 5–2–6–1. In their last five games, they have three wins and two losses.

“Windsor wanted to win more than we did,” said Mustangs head coach Kelly Paton. “We need a little more effort and compete level in order to compete hard.”

The team ran into trouble early on in the game, going down 2–0 by the end of the first period. The Lancers set the tone for the game, and dictated the pace of play for the rest of the game.

“I thought the first 10 minutes of the period we pushed back a little bit,” said Paton. “When they got another one on us, that took the wind out of our sails.”

The Mustangs get away from them in the second period, as the Lancers added three more goals to their lead before the Megan Taylor wormed her way onto the score sheet, scoring on the power play and ruining the shutout for the Lancers. The Lancers added to their lead a minute later, closing out the period with a 6–1 lead.

“Heading into this game, we weren’t quite ready I think,” said Taylor, a fourth-year forward. “We had a lot of missed opportunities at the beginning of the game that we should’ve buried.”

A goaltending change halfway through the game did nothing to solve the Mustangs defensive woes. After Katie Jacobs allowed three goals on 17 shots, Tareya Webster got the nod to finish the game, allowing five goals on 12 shots.

Of the eight goals scored against the Mustangs, two were on power play goals. The third period proved to be a bit better defensively for the Mustangs, as they held the Lancers to nine shots on net, while Webster only allowed two goals.

“We didn’t really do much to support those guys we left them out to dry a couple times,” said Paton. “Sometimes making a goaltending change midway through game switches the momentum back our way, but you can’t fault them for any of the goals.”

The Lancers goaltender Molly Jenkins played phenomenally, turning away 23 of 24 shots on net. Her ability to make key saves kept the momentum with the Lancers, and did not allow the Mustangs to crawl their way back into the game.

“We’ve been playing this well for a while and we’ve had some struggle in goal,” said Windsor head coach Jim Hunter. “Today early in the game we had a couple saves and it just gave us an opportunity to get going.“

After playing Waterloo the day before, earning 2–1 win in double overtime, the team looked tired. The Lancers skated circles around the Mustangs, catching them flat-footed on several occasions.

“We took away the neutral zone, they like to put in the puck in the middle of the ice and we stepped up the pace,” said Hunter. “We kept the puck out of the neutral zone, and kept the pace up and took the speed away form the neutral zone.”

The team is currently sitting in fifth in the OUA, with seven wins and seven losses. With a new coach at the helm, and without a definite starting goalie, the team is still looking to find its stride. The team has built a bit of momentum off of their three game winning streak prior to this game, and are looking to build steam in the second half of their season.

“Outside of this game, I think the last three games we played we’ve built some momentum for ourselves,” said Paton. “We’ll try to use those as a good example moving forward. Nice thing is that we have the second half to kind of build forward."

The season resumes on Jan. 7 when the team takes on the Ryerson Rams at home.